Freeze-drying Amanita?

A forum for discussing the various ways this mushroom can be prepared.
ICY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Freeze-drying Amanita?

Post by ICY » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:55 pm

I listened to a Paul Stamets talk where he shortly mentioned he freeze-dried Amanita.
Since I don't have a dehydrator yet and my Amanitas are currently being dried with the use of a heater and a fan I wondered if that is a legit method?
Would certainly be much easier for me. I couldn't find much online if ibotenic-acid is being converted to muscimol by this method or if that is just during decarboxylation with heat.
Would love to hear your thought and/or experiences.
Peace & Love

UrsusSapiens

Re: Freeze-drying Amanita?

Post by UrsusSapiens » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi ICY!
Please discriminate between "making the mushroom storable" and "converting ibotenic acid to muscimol". Drying and freeze-drying MAINLY makes the mushrooms storable (with the caveat that drying above 70 degree celsisus DO convert a small part of the ibotenic acid into muscimol, but not very reliably).
Methods for converting ibotenic acid into muscimol are : simmering/solving the mushrooms in an acidic solution (like lemon juice; citric acid solution etc.) or making a water extract of the mushroom with the addition of DMSO. According to my sources BOTH should do the trick of converting ibotenic acid to muscimol.

So if you want to freeze-dry your mushrooms to give them a longer shelf life - that will probably work. But there will be no chemical conversion.
These users thanked the author UrsusSapiens for the post (total 2):
neptoxGeronimo
Nature isn't mute - it's man who is deaf.