Preparing before drying

A forum for discussing the various ways this mushroom can be prepared.
Marv

Re: Preparing before drying

Post by Marv » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:40 pm

I come from a region where people traditionally let cure the cheese until those very same worms start to wriggle inside so much that the cheese looks like walking on the table ! There is obviously no problem for the older generation to eat these worms. In reality they are even valuable since some people won't eat the cheese if it is not fully colonized by these worms.
Clean or not ? Garbage or not ? I think it is just culture dependent.
Fermented eggs are disgusting for many westerners, not for Asiatics. Blue cheese is disgusting for Asiatics but not for westerners. Some people eat spiders, others won't...
Some people live with many dogs and share almost everything with them. Others have to clean 7 times an object that has been touched by a dog...
Some people eat mushrooms that have bites and worms while others select only the untouched ones while others find it disgusting to even touch a mushroom ! Sometimes I meet people that are disturbed by just seeing a mushroom !! The same for insects or worms or snakes or black people...
No rules for me.
These users thanked the author Marv for the post (total 4):
AsterixIcucmyclieumRadagastMcpato

Icucmyclieum

Post by Icucmyclieum » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Found some of them today quite a few actually although the cap didn’t appear to be too badly eaten, it looks like they come up through the stipe into the cap, interesting little dudes hey Marv I totally agree, I’ve always lived in the UK apart from a small time spent living in BG so my personal culture is that mouldy cheese is ok but maggots in it are not! Totally open to trying new things though but these little guys are just a bit too wiggly for me and they almost seem to look around....and then at you 😳

Amanita_Muscaria_

Post by Amanita_Muscaria_ » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:51 pm

What do you think about eating mushrooms bitten by animals? Is it safe? What if an animal with rabies took a bite of the mushroom... ? The biggest Amanita Muscaria I picked today happens to be bitten , i believe , by some animal...hmm. Should I put it next to the other ones that are in the process of drying?

Rebis

Post by Rebis » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 am

I'm in the U.K too, Icucmyclieum, and left hunting for AMs a bit late as well, because some books on mushrooms say that AMs appear in the autumn. Well autumn for me is from the Autumn equinox, September 21st to the Winter Solstice , December 21st. So, I thought I had plenty of time to go looking, but I forgot that in some people's minds autumn begins and ends much earlier. For some, autumn begins as soon as they are back from their summer holls, while others think it is already winter now in early November just because it has turned a bit colder. :roll:

Like you, I'll be more prepared next year.

Rebis.