Kombucha for decarboxylation? Amanita muscaria kombucha?

A forum for discussing the various ways this mushroom can be prepared.
Halibut_Acid

Kombucha for decarboxylation? Amanita muscaria kombucha?

Post by Halibut_Acid » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:36 pm

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else uses kombucha for decarboxylation of ibotenic acid. I make my own kombucha and I tend to end up with leftover, extremely strong kombucha that is too acidic to drink for my own sensory enjoyment. I usually simmer my caps in water with a little bit of this kombucha and half of a lemon worth of juice. It seems to work well enough, I am trying making a tea in pure kombucha and lemon right now with no added water. The real question this has led me to is this: if I add an aqueous amanita extraction to my kombucha before I begin the fermentation process, would there be potential for a more thorough decarboxylation process to take place? I say this because I know some microorganisms produce enzymes that do this sort of thing, and I also know that the kombucha culture itself metabolises caffeine. I plan to look into this chemistry later but I don't believe this to be a decarboxylation process, just simply evidence that the culture can metabolize at least certain organic chemicals found in plant (or this case mushroom) matter. I have no doubt I'll be trying this at some point as I believe there is potential for creating a very effective amanita drink, and one that wouldn't go bad as kombucha itself is alive. Just figured I'd see if anyone else had thoughts on this.
These users thanked the author Halibut_Acid for the post:
vapor_sails

PhrogDog
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kombucha for decarboxylation? Amanita muscaria kombucha?

Post by PhrogDog » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:26 pm

I was just talking to about this same thing and googled it and got your post.

I think it may work. We've got plenty of extra scoby to try. I just started a similar concoction with ginger bug.

I was reading "the Patent" and the added compounds in his fermented process are, from my understanding, also naturally made in the lacto fermenting process. There are a number of plants fermented this way and quite a few lacto fermented drink recipes that would lend themselves nicely to our desired product. We've fermented berries in a manner that would probably go nicely with muscaria and preserve rather well.

I also just watched a video of a lady lacto fermenting culinary mushrooms but she added a piece of cabbage to each batch; I believe the cabbage is what is the actual catalyst in this method(think sauerkraut).

Norrlander
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kombucha for decarboxylation? Amanita muscaria kombucha?

Post by Norrlander » Wed May 04, 2022 6:37 am

Hi!
I don't know if this thread is too old to get any more interest, but I'm really hoping someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Having started learning about the ibotenic acid --> muscimol conversion and coming across references to Soma etc, I got to thinking along similar lines.

I've been brewing mead for many years and also make sauerkraut regularly. In 2020 I made a batch of lacto-fermented sour mead, so I'm wondering about timescales for the conversion, whether it would be likely to complete in a three week gradual build up of acidity, or does it need higher concentration straight away and/or heat..?