Rose petals/hips instead of lemon?

A forum for discussing the various ways this mushroom can be prepared.
Fungo

Rose petals/hips instead of lemon?

Post by Fungo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Hello. I have a beautiful rose tree (Rosa rubiginosa) and try to avoid lemon. So, I wonder if rose petals/hips could be used instead, as it seems there is higher ascorbic acid content in rose than in citrics. Also I feel there may be more "affinity" between amanita and the cordial tonic rose effect.

I tried a rose petals tincture made by a friend of mine a couple years ago and remember it feels soothing. Maybe a mixture of the two tinctures (AM and rose petals) at a certain degree could trigger further conversion of ibotenic acid into muscimol...

Could it be so, or is this ungrounded speculation?

Donn

Re: Rose petals/hips instead of lemon?

Post by Donn » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:53 pm

It seems to depend on the importance of ascorbic acid in the conversion.

It's a new one on me, I don't know where you got that from. I've encountered people who thought ascorbic acid might be why lemons are sour; it isn't, they're sour primarily because of citric acid.

The issue with conversion is, again as far as I know, a simple matter of pH, i.e. acidity. It isn't essential - you'll get some conversion at neutral pH - but making it more acidic calls for simple acids like citric acid, which you can get in refined form if you don't like lemons. Or acetic acid, i.e. vinegar.

Ascorbic acid could work, but it will take a lot more, because while it is somewhat sour, it isn't as potent an acid as citric acid. I'm talking about a lot more than you could get out of some rose hips.
These users thanked the author Donn for the post:
Fungo

tgt1002

Post by tgt1002 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:34 pm

Its all about PH you get the ph low enough it will work
These users thanked the author tgt1002 for the post:
Fungo
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this

amanitadreamer

Post by amanitadreamer » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:17 pm

Fungo wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:35 pm
Hello. I have a beautiful rose tree (Rosa rubiginosa) and try to avoid lemon. So, I wonder if rose petals/hips could be used instead, as it seems there is higher ascorbic acid content in rose than in citrics. Also I feel there may be more "affinity" between amanita and the cordial tonic rose effect.

I tried a rose petals tincture made by a friend of mine a couple years ago and remember it feels soothing. Maybe a mixture of the two tinctures (AM and rose petals) at a certain degree could trigger further conversion of ibotenic acid into muscimol...

Could it be so, or is this ungrounded speculation?
The pH has to be 3.2 or lower to convert. Or 3.6, can't remember ATM and don't remember where I put the paper. I suck at remembering numbers.
These users thanked the author amanitadreamer for the post:
Fungo
The sun never says to the Earth, "You owe me". Look what happens with a love like that. It lights up the whole sky. ~Sufi
AmanitaDreamer.Net for videos on amanita
Community/mushroomvoice.com
YouTube Amanita Dreamer
Instagram @amanitadreamer