Amanita Kombucha as Dairy-Free "Soma" ?

A forum for discussing the various ways this mushroom can be prepared.
lostmushroomforest

Amanita Kombucha as Dairy-Free "Soma" ?

Post by lostmushroomforest » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:29 am

<deleted by user>
Last edited by lostmushroomforest on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amanitadreamer

Re: Amanita Kombucha as Dairy-Free "Soma" ?

Post by amanitadreamer » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:03 pm

lostmushroomforest wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:29 am
Watching the How to Make Soma video made me wonder what other bacterial/fungal cultures could be used to fully decarboxylate ibotenic acid into muscimol? I've experienced firsthand how edible bacteria, yeasts, and molds can transform the properties of various psychoactive herbs through decarboxylation and other enzymatic processes, so it was exciting to learn of another thing to try. From the video, It seems like Amanita muscaria tea does not significantly inhibit the growth of yeasts or lactobacilli, so kombucha growth should not be inhibited the way certain herbs high in terpenes /flavonoids /other antimicrobial plant compounds do.

Has anyone had any success making kombucha with amanitas? How long does it take for the scoby to adapt to Amanita tea? Is there a recommended ratio of scoby / starter tea / base tea / Amanita tea that producing the best results? How long does it need to ferment to fully convert the ibotenic acid muscimol? Does it have a similar effect to regular soma?

I was thinking of making Amanita tea for microdosing, then adding tea in the last 5 minutes of the boil. I would use honey as a sweetener + honey kombucha since that has more of a relaxing feeling that I think will synergize well with the Amanitas. Any thoughts / advice?
The thread for this can be found under the general board index as vegan alternatives. There's nice long discussion going on over there! I am going to be making a video on what we come up with when my kitchen is finished renovation.
These users thanked the author amanitadreamer for the post:
lostmushroomforest
The sun never says to the Earth, "You owe me". Look what happens with a love like that. It lights up the whole sky. ~Sufi
AmanitaDreamer.Net for videos on amanita
Community/mushroomvoice.com
YouTube Amanita Dreamer
Instagram @amanitadreamer

Vanillad
Has thanked: 0

Post by Vanillad » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:39 pm

lostmushroomforest wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:29 am
Has anyone had any success making kombucha with amanitas? How long does it take for the scoby to adapt to Amanita tea? Is there a recommended ratio of scoby / starter tea / base tea / Amanita tea that producing the best results? How long does it need to ferment to fully convert the ibotenic acid muscimol? Does it have a similar effect to regular soma?

I was thinking of making Amanita tea for microdosing, then adding tea in the last 5 minutes of the boil. I would use honey as a sweetener + honey kombucha since that has more of a relaxing feeling that I think will synergize well with the Amanitas. Any thoughts / advice?
As far as I'm aware, there are no published measurements of decarboxylation effectiveness using kombucha, nor would I expect simply adding kombucha to the last five minutes of a boil to achieve any additional decarboxylation at all. I believe this is based on a 2012 patent which performed this procedure to significant results:

"Additionally, a third sample, “GAD” as shown in FIG. 1, to a portion of undiluted filtrate added 14 mg of purified glutamate decarboxylase was added to 2 ml of filtrate. 0.3 mg of pyridoxal phosphate (P-5-P) was added, and the sample was maintained at 37 degrees Celsius for 2 hours. Then the sample was held at 37 degrees Celsius for another 2 hours then refrigerated. The resultant product resulted in a ratio of muscimol to ibotenic acid is displayed as “GAD” as shown in FIG. 1, which resulted in a ratio of 92.77 muscimol to ibotenic acid, as compared to the control sample of 0.29 muscimol to ibotenic acid. "
source: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20140004084A1/en

Keep in mind that this does not mean that, for example, stirring the mushrooms into kombucha will achieve any decarboxylation via the potential GAD within it. You could however use pure GAD and P5P in the method described above to achieve excellent results, if that is your goal.

lostmushroomforest

Post by lostmushroomforest » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:23 pm

<deleted by user>
Last edited by lostmushroomforest on Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mushroomL

Post by mushroomL » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:08 am

Kefir made with kefir grains might be even stronger than kombucha. I like to make chia seed pudding by soaking chia seeds in some liquid, but I do not use kefir as it eats up the gelatinous part within an hour or so, and then it doesn't taste as good. If you leave cinammon stick in kefir for 2 hours, it already has strong flavor. Of course, not sure what it does to specific chemicals in amanita. I make kombucha too, I use it for the dough fermentation mainly, although in summer we drink it also.