Fleece cultivation

The Ambrosia Society was created by Don Teeter as a result of his research into Amanita Muscaria. They came to some very interesting conclusions although some of their work related to what they called 'the fleece' was later shown to be erroneous.
T36

Re: Fleece cultivation

Post by T36 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:54 am

So the glass grail looks good! One of the bean cans is overcontaminated with yellow and green molds so il prob throw it out(((
Glass Grail!
Glass Grail!
20191124_083010.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 38961 times
Glass Grail 2
Glass Grail 2
20191124_082633.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 38961 times
Beans
Beans
20191124_082828.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 38961 times
These users thanked the author T36 for the post:
Aquavitae

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:42 pm

@T36 congratulations my friend! You've "done" it! Any project you start now will be MUCH cleaner! What I did to start was use tweezers that I used a lighter to sterilize for a second by burning the ends, then, when cooled for a few seconds, just grab some of those black spores and put them in a sandwich baggie until your ready for your next project! Just remember they're heat sensitive so don't mix em in freshly cooked grains before letting them cool!
These users thanked the author Mcpato for the post:
T36

T36

Post by T36 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:04 pm

Hurray :D :D :D
2726a4f6c7b6e96bf07b17051c494be9bf7afaea7e94429bb967845eca228b84.jpg
2726a4f6c7b6e96bf07b17051c494be9bf7afaea7e94429bb967845eca228b84.jpg (85.4 KiB) Viewed 38943 times
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mcpato

T36

Post by T36 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:54 am

So i did the tweezers as you said) and started my first batch of living bread with barley :D
13 hours old barly
13 hours old barly
20191126_032518.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 38926 times
I left it in the pot coz the air in my apartment is very dry and things dehydrate fast so i will be keeping the lid on, opening it ocasionaly to let fresh air get in...Its 13 hours old now and yeah the fleece is growing even tho you cant really see it on the pic yet...

So what have you been up to?
How is being the living vessel experiment working out for you? :mrgreen:

Also i remember you said that you cultivated the fleece on tobacco??? Can you do this with the sh*t tobacco from store bought cigarettes??? Are you still doing it? Did you soak the tobacco in any kind of sweet liquid?

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:36 am

@T36
I am so freakin excited it worked dude!! Congrats once again!

Well I've started 2 more experiments that i will post soon! My reverse grail, (which is growing great!) And just tonight I started a oxygen-less ambrosia. I just learned that some mucors are dimorphic, meaning they exist as hairy molds in an oxygen rich environment, and in an oxygen-less environment they live as single celled yeasts! I believe our fleece is one of these dimorphic mucors! I dont think I'm harboring the fleece in my body yet? but if this ambrosia doesnt kill me from botulism poisoning I think I'll have attained my goal with it! Lol

Yeah I did culture on tobacco! I need to experient more with it though, maybe start it and then use it like my reverse grail for a month or so, so it gets really potent before I attempt to smoke it.
So i did it 2 times, the first time was more successful. I just used some cheap loose pipe tobacco. (Dude you could probably use any plant or herb for this.) I wetted it with some regular molasses and just mixed my spores in with it too. It got a little drier once the tobacco soaked up some of the moisture. I set it in a small jar and covered it with a coffee filter, and it grew fast and well! I think I dried it in my oven... I don't have a dehydrator yet. It worked ok, but I'm not sure it decarbed at all, i don't think it did.... So soak it in lemon juice and tell me how it goes! Lol. I enjoy hookah and shredded mine, added a little more molasses and some spices. It smoked ok, i only felt it lightly though.
My 2nd attempt i used grape juice to soak the tobacco. It did grow, just not as well or thick. Just experiment! Fleece loves sugar! Post your project so I/we can follow along! Hopefully more adventurous souls will join in!
Last edited by Mcpato on Sat May 02, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T36

T36

Post by T36 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 am

Believe it or not but i already did the oxygen-less environment grow!!! :D
I did it by accident) it happened a year ago and i didnt take any pics(((
I picked up some mushrooms that where not as good as i like em) old and with a bit of bite marks from insects and worms, so i low heat boiled em for 10 min to get as much IA&Mus as i can, plus i dont remember why but i added some DMSO in there aswell prob to make it stronger :lol: anyways i stored the water extracts in a simple plastic bottle filed to the cap at room temp under my bed and a week or a months later saw that some kind of white fleece is growing in the water! It looked disgusting :lol: but i didnt trow it away and just left it there thinking that maybe i will drink it when i will run out of AM's) and 3 months later i did run out) the fleece had grown more by that time and it still looked disgusting to me :lol: so i filtered the water, discarded of the fleece and then boiled it for 30 mins.
I was then drinking it daily in 150ml cup and it didnt have a good taste prob coz of dmso, the high was a normal AM high with no special effects or feels... i was taking it for the stimulating effects and never tried a higher dose to have a fullblown exp!
Mcpato

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:02 pm

T36 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 am
Believe it or not but i already did the oxygen-less environment grow!!! :D
I did it by accident) it happened a year ago and i didnt take any pics(((
I picked up some mushrooms that where not as good as i like em) old and with a bit of bite marks from insects and worms, so i low heat boiled em for 10 min to get as much IA&Mus as i can, plus i dont remember why but i added some DMSO in there as well prob to make it stronger :lol: anyways i stored the water extracts in a simple plastic bottle filed to the cap at room temp under my bed and a week or a months later saw that some kind of white fleece is growing in the water! It looked disgusting :lol: but i didnt trow it away and just left it there thinking that maybe i will drink it when i will run out of AM's) and 3 months later i did run out) the fleece had grown more by that time and it still looked disgusting to me :lol: so i filtered the water, discarded of the fleece and then boiled it for 30 mins.
I was then drinking it daily in 150ml cup and it didnt have a good taste prob coz of dmso, the high was a normal AM high with no special effects or feels... i was taking it for the stimulating effects and never tried a higher dose to have a fullblown exp!
This is extraordinary info! Thank you! To think it even survived the initial boil! Thank you for basically confirming my theory! Well without oxygen I'm wondering if its metabolism is significantly slowed? My experiment is basically making regular ambrosia but since i have no fermentation lock, I'm going the ancient route and poured olive oil on top until there was a reasonably thick layer on top! Lol well we'll see what happens!
T36

Splinters and Shards

Post by Splinters and Shards » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:12 pm

@T36 Mucor molds in their yeast form produce ethanol, just like bread and brewer's yeasts. Just like a normal ferment, there comes a point where the alcohol content becomes high enough and the active cells die off. This is why you can't ferment high proof alcohol. To up the alcohol content, the resulting ferment needs to be jacked (by freezing out some of the water and pouring it off) or distilled (think spirits like vodka, gin, tequila, etc.)

I have a couple of jars of wine going that I started with yeast and have added Amanitas to. I'm starting two new batches tonight that will only be inoculated with Amanitas. Many other types of mold cannot survive in an oxygen free environment, so I'll treat these next batches like normal wine. This will help discourage the growth of molds that seem to pop up when trying to grow the fleece in open air, plus the resulting beverage will store better

Teeter's experiments mainly tried to cultivate the fleece on top of juice open to air, but treating the fleece like leaven (The incorruptible leaven Jesus speaks of in the Sayings Gospel of Thomas, perhaps?) and making alcoholic wine with the fleece cells in the dormant state (like most non-pasturized fermented beverages) may provide better results. Plus the resulting wine or beer may have bonus AM-like effects on top of the alcohol. These yeast-like cells may also better colonize a person (like brewer's yeast sometimes does to detrimental effect).

@Mcpato Thanks again for the dimorphism revelation! Your ambrosia may have seemed to die off because yeast goes dormant (though easily resurrected when sugar is added) when the ethanol, methanol, or acetic acid levels in a beverage gets too high. I imagine the same would apply to the yeast form of the Mucor. Mucors that have been studies produce ethanol during fermentation (anaerobic respiration).

I'm planning on starting a new thread on Ambrosia experiments and post up my wine experiments. That is if you two mad-scientists don't beat me to it! We are standing on the precipice, my friends! All hail the grail!
These users thanked the author Splinters and Shards for the post:
T36

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:26 pm

@Splinters and Shards
Do you really think our fleeceyeast will create alcohol!? So, do you imagine co2 production as well then? I'll be watching my oil over juice experiment closely for co2 bubbles just in case. @T36, when your anerobic fleece grew in the water bottles, was it under pressure? It's exciting either way but i was totally expecting a non alcoholic beverage at the end.

My spontaneous spaghetti sauce grail is fizzing lively with some wild yeast now and I was going to toss it and make room for another experiment.... But maybe its actually the already established mucor yeast now that I think about it. I'll let it finish!

My "failed" ambrosia may have gone dormant... Its got the green mold on the fleece too. Maybe I'll try and decarb it and see what happens...
T36

Splinters and Shards

Post by Splinters and Shards » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:35 pm

@Mcpato If the fleece is truly a dimorphic Mucor (which feels right, but we'll see!) Then it should produce Ethanol, Carbon Dioxide, Water, and its own metabolitic byproduct (this varies from organism to organism).

That fizzy grail may very well be your starter culture! If it were yeast, I'd just scrape off the mold and use it to start my next brew! I don't see why this would be any different. I'm making a batch of banana wine tonight. If the use of powdered AM causes fermentation and it seems to be producing alcohol, I may make some potato vodi in a week!

So exciting! Mead is also next on the list! It is the king of unsanitary brews, because honey is magical in it's own right!
These users thanked the author Splinters and Shards for the post:
T36