The Ambrosia Society

The Ambrosia Society was created by Don Teeter as a result of his research into Amanita Muscaria. They came to some very interesting conclusions although some of their work related to what they called 'the fleece' was later shown to be erroneous.
Amanita Research
Site Admin

The Ambrosia Society

Post by Amanita Research » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:37 pm

For anyone who is unaware, the Ambrosia Society was founded by Don Teeter and his work. He looking into the various cultural and historical traditions and came to the conclusion that Amanita Muscaria was behind much of the world religions and traditions. He then went on to speculate as to whether Amanita Muscaria could be 'resurrected' and this gave rise to the various myths about the God who never died.

Later research showed that what Teeter was growing was in fact a murcor, a type of mould. Some of these moulds are known to cause a severe infection in people known as murcormycosis. However, many of his followers state that it has the same properties as Amanita Muscaria. Given the health risks associated with murcors (regardless of whether the 'right' one is grown), we cannot recommend that people ingest anything related to the murcor. However, we feel that further research is required to ascertain whether there was anything to all the rumours. Whether there is a murcor which does indeed produce ibotenic acid or whether it is something else.

Regardless of the issue of the murcor, the work of Don Teeter was fascinating, especially from a cultural or historical position. For more information please see the following link: https://ambrosiasociety.org.

We would like to look more deeply into the various areas discussed and compile all the evidence both here and on the wiki so that we can see what can be evidenced and what is currently mere speculation.

EDIT: The original website is down. For people wanting to see what they had up, please see here: Archive Link
These users thanked the author Amanita Research for the post (total 4):
McpatoT36HaslerFlutterbyFungi

Mcpato

Re: The Ambrosia Society

Post by Mcpato » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:40 pm

Amanita Research wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:37 pm
For more information please see the following link: https://ambrosiasociety.org.
Shed a tear world!!! As of right now the incredible resource being the home of the ambrosia society is down. May it resurect as quickly as the fleece it has given to the world! But if not may we carry on the torch for Don Teeter in our own way.
These users thanked the author Mcpato for the post:
Amanita Research

Amanita Research
Site Admin

Post by Amanita Research » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:48 am

I've edited the OP with an archive link so people can still see the original material. Do you think they would mind if we copied and paste the information over to the forum? It would be a shame to let all that work go to waste.

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:00 am

I can't speak for them, but if I were them, and I cared one bit about preserving valuable history, I'd be grateful for someone like you wanting to make an archive. I hadn't realized you had already made one. Thank you so much for doing that!

SomaSig
Has thanked: 0

Post by SomaSig » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:00 am

That is very sad I did not know they shut the site down, seems Gardens of the ancients is down as well, I was very active with Don it was a great loss, and his leaving really took its toll on the society to the point of it withering away. When I was active in the society and before life issues arose I created this website that should have lots of information for y’all, my hope is that this site the wiki and maybe some information on mine will spur this monumental subject to mainstream. https://theambrosiahouse.weebly.com/ Hope y’all get something out of it, enjoy

Sig
These users thanked the author SomaSig for the post:
FlutterbyFungi