The Ambrosia Society's Fleece

The Ambrosia Society was created by Don Teeter as a result of his research into Amanita Muscaria. They came to some very interesting conclusions although some of their work related to what they called 'the fleece' was later shown to be erroneous.
constrapolator

Re: The Ambrosia Society's Fleece

Post by constrapolator » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:54 pm

@Mcpato About to give the "living bread" method a shot. Any guidance would be appreciated, as there's a lot of different things attempted in different threads, and I'm not sure what the best approach is. From my understanding, steps would be something like:

That is:
1. Sterliize/pasteurize barley, strain.
2. Place the wet barley in sterilized jar
3. Sprinkle amanita powder on top, cover with coffee filter and rubber band.
4. Wait 2-3 days for fleece
5. With sterilized tweezers, take fleece and move to another sterilized jar with pasteurized barley.
6. Cover with coffee filter, rubber band, wait 2-3 days, and ensure that only fleece grows here (this is verification that there isn't contamination).
7. Once you have fleece, you can then proceed to ambrosia.

Does that sound about right?
These users thanked the author constrapolator for the post:
micrich

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:33 pm

@constrapolator,
Yes your method sounds good to me, when you sprinkle the amanita powder it may be more effective if you 1) soak it in a little water to hydrate the desired spores. Also 2) mix the powder in with the barley really well so its not just sitting on top.
You may or may not even need to worry about it, this is definitely not an exact science!

All that matters in this first round is that we get the white mold out of it. Look closely at the wooly fleece. You want the little black spores to be randomly scattered throughout. It may be the wrong one if it is say, only sporulating at the very top. The length may be long or short, ive seen it do both. Just remember most of the white molds (which werent the right ones) were pretty safe to consume to test. The fleece mold gives an undeniable effect, whereas the other molds may give a somewhat nice nootropic effect, maybe? Anyways it will be too subtle for you to be certain, that likely isnt the fleece. At that point try again with a different amanita cap. Please dont use panther caps... But no white hairy mold I tried ever gave me any physical trouble. Feel free to ask more questions, and please let me know how it turns out! I may not be able to promptly respond, but I'll do my best!
These users thanked the author Mcpato for the post (total 2):
constrapolatormicrich

constrapolator

Post by constrapolator » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:32 am

@Mcpato Thanks so much for your guidance!

I'll give it a shot as described, and post lots of pictures shortly.

constrapolator

Post by constrapolator » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:26 am

Here's what I did (all equipment used was sterilized):
1. Prepare 3 jars. One has wheat barley, one has crushed caramel barley, and one has uncrushed caramel barley. Fill with water and pasteurize for 2 hours at 190F.
2. Filter out the water in each jar, and add a few tablespoons back to the jar.
3. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp ground amanita in each jar and stir
4. Sprinkle a bit that's been moistened with water a bit without stirring,
5. Put a coffee filter on top of each jar and screw in the lid. Place in a darkish place with good ventilation.

In addition, I took a cap and rehydrated it a bit in another jar, just out of curiosity.
pic.jpg
pic.jpg (299.48 KiB) Viewed 303992 times
Now we wait and see!
These users thanked the author constrapolator for the post (total 2):
Mcpatomicrich

constrapolator

Post by constrapolator » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:02 pm

Alright, it looks like the crushed caramel barley is the winner! After three days, I didn't see as much activity on the other media.

@Mcpato, does this look like fleece to you?
PXL_20210710_185654821.jpg
PXL_20210710_185654821.jpg (693.53 KiB) Viewed 303980 times
If so, I'll transplant it to another sterilized crushed barley jar to try to isolate/propagate it.

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 am

I'm so sorry for the late reply @constrapolator !
But YES!!!!!!!

Congrats!!! Hopefully you transferred it?

constrapolator

Post by constrapolator » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Mcpato wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 am
I'm so sorry for the late reply @constrapolator !
But YES!!!!!!!

Congrats!!! Hopefully you transferred it?
Exciting to hear! Yep, I transferred to a new sanitized container with the same ground barley material. The image on the left shows the original container (likely with contaminants), and the image on the right shows the new container. It's much more uniform, but it's not white/fleecelike as expected. Is this still fleece? Does it go bad quickly?
Attachments
PXL_20210719_172904036.jpg
PXL_20210719_172904036.jpg (524.63 KiB) Viewed 303951 times
These users thanked the author constrapolator for the post:
micrich

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Wonderfully done @constrapolator !

So, yes, I too was surprised at the variety of appearances of the fleece. To understand what is happening here I've just learned by experience. My understanding is that this is basically a matter of bioavailability of nutrients for the fleece. You can experiment with different substrates for the fleece and will see it respond in different ways. Sometimes it will be short and sporulated like it is here, other times it will be long and fluffy white, followed by a dense blackness (sporulation again) once it has used up all the available nutrition, then finally followed by another layer of tall white hyphae which reach up in hopes of finding more food.

Your ground barley has worked to get the spores you need so thats all that matters! In future preparations for living bread and Ambrosial wine think about the availability of both oxygen and nutrients for the mold. Hulled barley cooked well but not too wet, is perfect when fluffed with a fork and lightly and loosely packed in a jar (say only 1/3 to 1/2 full) the fungus can get down and breathe even to the bottom of the jar and fully inhabit the grains.

Similar to your way, I experimented with cooked I
Oatmeal, which the fungus loved but wouldnt penetrate below the surface. I manually broke it up into little "fleeceballs" using a spoon and tried to give it room for growth and air. This fungus definitely breathes and thrives with more air! Anyways this method worked well, but required more effort.

When you dig down or cut into your experiment you'll likely see that it didn't penetrate very far down unless there was room for the hyphae to reach down.

You should use those clean spores and start two new projects, one on juice for ambrosia, and another on grains to keep the cycle going!

And no, the fungus will not go bad quickly unless it gets contaminated from bacteria or another mold. If you let it air dry it will keep forever and the spores will keep you going for a long time. There is a lot of possibilities from here! Congrats on getting this far!

Personally I like the psychoactive effects from the raw fleece (it took some time to get over the ick-factor but then began to crave it if you can believe it!) But the effect is definitely better if prepared using lacto fermentation like with soured raw milk. Experimenting there is where I'm at.
Good luck and keep me posted with successes or any questions or anything!

tgt1002

Post by tgt1002 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:43 pm

OctopusMcKennaii wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:18 am
WARNING!!!!!!

The fleece being a mucor means IT IS NOT AMANITA MYCELIUM OR ANYTHING AMANITA. PERIOD. DO NOT INGEST!

The "fleece" is literally mold. It is literally not amanita. I will, for the sake of what Amanita Dreamer is doing, run experiments to prove the disinformation false. All one would have to do is culture it to agar and post high-quality photos.

The fleece shown in Ambrosia Society's video is clearly mucor and not mycelial.

The first time I saw the video on my first visit to the ambrosia society I believed the fleece to be cobweb mold.

Physically the fleece appears to NOT BE fungal. It does not look like mycelium. It is not mycelium. It is mold, mucor--100%.

Let's get a mycologist to prove this for us.

Let's make a thread on the shroomery forum.

Let's spread truth and prove misinformation to be wrong. I do believe there will be a significant amount of disinformation coming in, as has happened in many communities across the internet.

I am going to be nit picky here, but is mold not in the fungal family?

"Molds include all species of microscopic fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments, called hyphae"

They def are fungi.
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this

fantanyl

Post by fantanyl » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:21 pm

Hey there :D

just registered here, because i´m highly interested in the fleece
i tried last year already to cultivate it on grape juice but failed, i think the amanitas i found were not that good batch, and also startig with just throwing a peace of the shroom in the juice doesnt sound very successfull afterwards
this year i try find some amanitas again, but did not found any yet
since last year i´m a little bit more expierenced in growing shrooms (cubes,yeast) and think my chances are better
i´d do it like mcpato advised first on barley and isolate etc
i´m also a bit in chemistry and would really like try to isolate (or at least a crude extract) the actives and do further researches
i´m really looking forward to share experiences with you guys and learn,
i think this fleece could make a big change in inebration culture (i hate all this synthetic stuff, which people use to destroy themselfes)

As said didnt found any amanitas this year yet so i cant share any success yet, but this year it HAS to be (thought it would be more easy to find some at my place)
i just wanted to check out if active discussion about this is still in progress ..
i think this is the last place where the fleece is still discussed. there are threads about it in other forums (dmt nexus mycotopia shroomery etc) but i cant understand why the interest in the fleece seems quite low in other places (because threads are dead a long time ago). wouldnt the infinite source of the actives (whatever they are ibotenic acid or not) one of the greatest things ever ? i´m ABSOLUTLY interested in the effects

greetings :)