DMSO converts ibotenic acid to muscimol 100% yield and enhances it.!?

Feel free to discuss what you want.
T36

DMSO converts ibotenic acid to muscimol 100% yield and enhances it.!?

Post by T36 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:30 pm

•WARNING• DMSO doesn't remove Muscarine or other chemicals that are responsible for carboxylation, Do not try this method with fresh mushrooms, AM needs to be dried and cured before use

quote from erowid:
Apparently DMSO, an easy to obtain and low toxicity solvent, is exceptionally effective at converting ibotenic acid to muscimol. How effective is it? DMSO practically gets you a 100% yield of muscimol from your ibotenic acid overnight. At room temperature. Additionally, DMSO is effective at increasing the body’s absorption of nearly any drug, muscimol included.

here are some guidelines:
Don’t use more than 2 tsp. DMSO. It is a catalyst, so you don’t need a lot. Also, you don’t really want to ingest more than 2 tsp. of it because it does not have the best taste.

Don’t put the DMSO on the stove. If you add it to the boiling water, and you accidently let it all boil off, you potentially have an explosion on your hands. This makes for a bad trip.

Don’t try to make a resin for smoking with DMSO, as smoking could cause an explosion.
Do some research on DMSO yourself, and get to know the substance if you aren’t familiar with it. It has plenty of other useful drug related applications for you to discover. :)

I live in the Pacific Northwest, and these beautiful mushrooms are growing everywhere in my neighborhood! I have been enjoying them for about three years now: picking them and drying them in my oven at about 170 F with the door open and consuming them a number of ways. I have found, however, that the decarboxylation of ibotenic acid into muscimol that is supposed to happen in the oven has been rather hit or miss. When these mushrooms make you retch, it is the ibotenic acid that is the culprit.
Here is what I did:
I took 1 small, 2 inch amanita cap and boiled it in a sauce pan with about a quart of water for about 15 minutes, and then removed the cap from the water. I proceeded to let the water boil until there was only a half cup left, then transferred it to a mason jar and let it cool. (I have seen muscimol’s boiling point quoted online as being 70 C, and this is simply false. You can boil off the water without harming either the ibotenic acid or muscimol.) I then added 2 tsp DMSO to the solution, and allowed it to sit overnight. The next day, I picked it up and gave it a swirl and drank it in a quick gulp. It did not taste good, but went down quick. I recommend having a chaser nearby.

Within 10 minutes of taking it, I was feeling the effects of the mushroom, and I felt not a hint of nausea either. This was a small dose, only 1 small cap, but I was feeling significantly more kick than I normally get from that amount. Within 30 minutes I peaked, with a thick calmness in my body and a strong alcohol like buzz but with a clearer headspace. I feel the hypnotic effects and a vague distortion in my peripheral vision. The euphoria does not seem to be amplified, by the DMSO, but is about where it normally would be. The high lasts its usual duration, about 6 hours.

Overall, this has been very, very nice. Will be trying with a higher dose soon...
More info:
Ibotenic Acid Decarboxylation to Muscimol: Dramatic Solvent and Radiolytic Rate Acceleration

Filera CN, Lacya JM and CT Peng

Synthetic Communications 2005 35(7):967-70.

Both ibotenic acid (1) and muscimol (2) have been isolated from several fungal species including Amanita muscaria1 and are active CNS agents of the NMDA and GABA receptor systems respectively. It has also been demonstrated that under certain circumstances 1 can decarboxylate to 2, but the scope of the reaction was largely unexplored.2 A number of years ago colleagues in our laboratory, likely influenced by the conditions of the classic Krapcho reaction,3 first reported in a talk that simply stirring 1 in a solution of DMSO with high specific activity 3H2O(Water) overnight at ambient temperature afforded a very reasonable radiochemical yield of 3a with exclusive tritium incorporation in the amino methylene as established by tritium NMR.4 Since then we have performed this simple yet robust synthesis many times, providing valuable radioligand 3a to the neurochemical community and supporting literally hundreds of key published studies in the GABA area. A representative synthesis is described in the experimental section.

Years later, Nielsen and coworkers independently explored the nonenzymatic decarboxylation of ibotenic acid, reporting that 1 was stable in water even at 37°C overnight and only after its exposure to boiling water at pH extremes over the course of several hours was any decarboxylation to 2 noted.5 Until recently we were unaware of this surprising observation and it clearly demonstrates that our mild ambient temperature decarboxylation of 1 to 3a with DMSO/3H2O(Water) is a far more intriguing and remarkable result than first recognized. It is certainly a rare event to so markedly accelerate a reaction by a mere solvent change6 and we were prompted to further examine this interesting transformation more closely.

We first confirmed and extended the observation of the Danish workers, noting that when 1 is dissolved in D2O at ambient temperature and monitored by HPLC, it is stable for more than two weeks, showing only minimal (0.2%) conversion to 3b. We next examined the stability of 1 in DMSO-d6 and D2O (10:1), a concentration identical to the tritiation reaction. In this solvent system at ambient temperature and monitored by HPLC, approximately 90% of 1 was gradually and fairly cleanly converted to 3b over the course of a week. This result was repeated several times and interestingly shows that the addition of DMSO to water clearly facilitates the decarboxylation of 1. However, and perhaps even more important, the use of 3H2O (in lieu of water) with DMSO dramatically accelerates the decarboxylation process.

And more)):
[Methylene-3H] Muscimol (3a)

A solution of 10 mg (0.06 mmol) of 1 (Sigma catalogue # I-2765) in 0.3mL of
dry DMSO with 100 Ci of 3H2O (at 58 Ci/mmol) was stirred overnight at
ambient temperature. After this time volatile tritium was removed under
vacuum with several evaporations of 0.1mL of water. A TLC [avicel plate
developed with butanol–acetic acid–water (25 : 4 : 10)] showed that there
was no evidence of 1 remaining. The crude product (1003 mCi) was purified
by preparative HPLC on a Zorbax SCX column eluted with 50mmol
aqueous potassium phosphate (pH 3), affording 109 mCi (a 6% radiochemical
yield based on 1) of product 3a, which was demonstrated to be 97% radiochemically pure and cochromatograph with authentic 2 by HPLC (same system as above) with a specific activity of 29.5 Ci/mmol as measured by mass spectrometry based on the ratio of the unlabelled, single-tritiated and doubletritiated Mþ 1 peaks at 115, 117, and 119m/e respectively. It also provided
a proton-decoupled tritium NMR (D2O) showing a multiplet at 4.13 ppm.

Excitatory Amino Acids: Studies on the Biochemical and Chemical Stability of Ibotenic Acid and Related Compounds
"The formation of the decarboxylated product, muscimol, which primarily occurred in a synaptosomal fraction, was dependent on the presence of pyridoxal-5-phosphate (PALP)... The overall decomposition rate for ibotenic acid (8.7 nmol min-1 mg-1 of protein), which apparently embraces other reactions in addition to decarboxylation to muscimol, was higher than the rate of decarboxylation of (S)-glutamic acid (3.2 nmol min-1 mg-1 of protein). ...

Ibotenic acid... decomposed, partially by decarboxylation, at 100°C in a pH-dependent manner. In the presence of liver homogenates, ibotenic acid was also shown to decompose. Although muscimol was the only detectable reaction product, mechanisms other than decarboxylation may be involved. Under these conditions, the degradation reaction or reactions were partially dependent on PALP and were inhibited by AOAA and 3MPA but not by allylglycine."
These users thanked the author T36 for the post (total 3):
Amanita ResearchUrsusSapiensMarv

Marv

Re: DMSO converts ibotenic acid to muscimol 100% yield and enhances it.!?

Post by Marv » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:13 pm

Very interesting !!
Do we have someone here who have made extensive bioassays ? Someone who will ?
I've never been in touch with this solvent.

UrsusSapiens

Post by UrsusSapiens » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:06 am

I will... just waiting on Amazon to bring me my DMSO....

But since I am somewhat.... "concerned"... about the properties of DMSO, I'm thinking about a way to get it out of solution for the final product. And even if it would be for comparisons sake.... I'm not as much concerned about DMSO's "toxicity" (DMSO was rejected as part of medication for humans in Germany, because some guinea pig went blind after extreme dosage with DMSO... Today we know, that only rodents react that way to DMSO, but the law is fixed in place....), as I am not sure, if you REALLY want to convert EVERY bit of ibotenic acid ALL THE TIME.... Like Amanita Dreamer said in her latest vid: BOTH agents (ibotenic acid AND Muscimaol) have their effect and purpose.
These users thanked the author UrsusSapiens for the post (total 2):
T36Amanita Research
Nature isn't mute - it's man who is deaf.

Marv

Post by Marv » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Yeah I think you're right.
I am very curious by nature and I would like to know if it works and how different can be the effects of AM prepared this way. At the same time we could ask "why we should play with new, not well known solvents when the medicine actually works so great as it is. And in that case the IBO - MUS conversion is obviously happening in a quite complex and intelligent way inside the user's body using his own acids, catalysts and enzymes ?"
The human body and the mushroom look made for the reaction to occur so why change it ?
It would be like opening a motor, seing that the injectors actually pulverise the gas oil in the combustion chamber and think : " hey ! We could build injectors to pulverise the gas oil in the combustion chamber and see if the motor works ! "
Of course it is nice to understand how is made an injector but if you need the motor in your car to cross the country it is best to avoid the whole research, enter your car and turn the motor on !

People have been using amanitas for thousands of years without DMSO and they where able to travel through many worlds, talk to spirits and gods, heal their community...

Maybe it is wiser to learn and practice all the ancient technics before thinking to play with so powerful Members of the Family.

I felt the same about extracted DMT and plant-based brews...

Marv

Post by Marv » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:21 pm

I started to read about DMSO and there are some informations I don't understand, maybe someone here can explain.

It is said that DMSO has been found in various food products such as alfalfa, asparagus, barley, beans, beets, cabbage, corn, cucumbers, oats, onions, Swiss chard, tomatoes, apples, raspberries, spearmint, beer, milk, coffee, tea, malt, also in spearmint, natural waters and human urine ! Which is quite interesting, but I don't find any clear information that could explain if its presence is naturally occurring in these foods or is a result of its large use in agriculture ?

I also found that its concentration range in these products is from 0,07 to 16ppm. Can this relatively low concentration have any impact on our IBO decarboxilation when amanita is mixed with water or milk ?

UrsusSapiens

Post by UrsusSapiens » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:01 am

It is said that DMSO has been found in various food products such as alfalfa, asparagus, barley, beans, beets, cabbage, corn, cucumbers, oats, onions, Swiss chard, tomatoes, apples, raspberries, spearmint, beer, milk, coffee, tea, malt, also in spearmint, natural waters and human urine ! Which is quite interesting, but I don't find any clear information that could explain if its presence is naturally occurring in these foods or is a result of its large use in agriculture ?
DMSO was found occurring naturally in plants and animals (animal like: humans). But it is one of these little understood "by products", that biochemists couldn't place correctly in the big scheme of metabolism. It's industrial use and production indeed preceded its discovery in the living organism.
I also found that its concentration range in these products is from 0,07 to 16ppm.
Well here comes the 99-dollar-question of the day: "Are these concentration ranges just the natural ones?". Makes me think.... :roll:
But with 16 ppm, I suspect it's the natural content.
Can this relatively low concentration have any impact on our IBO decarboxilation when amanita is mixed with water or milk ?
Well, as far as I understand it, DMSO acts as a kind of catalysator, i.e. it will not be used up during the conversion process. But most sources I read, work with about half a litre of solution and add to this about 1 or 2 teaspoons of DMSO, so well in the per-mille-range.... I guess the natural occurrence COULD have an impact, but it would take more time... so the conversion goal would be "achieved" when the solution already has gone bad.
These users thanked the author UrsusSapiens for the post:
Marv

Marv

Post by Marv » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:44 am

Something new about this ? Ursus did you receive your solvent ?

UrsusSapiens

Post by UrsusSapiens » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:07 pm

@Marv: Jep.... the brown santa brought me a gift today.... :D Started immediately my first experiment..... Will DMSO come out of a watery solutions if this solution is cooled down to approx. 6 degree Celsius? :? If my test should be successful, it would provide us with a way to get rid of the DMSO in our solution, after it did it's job... just to get rid of the taste and possible complications later on... If it does not work - well we will have to be a bit more cautious....
These users thanked the author UrsusSapiens for the post:
T36

Minalia
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Minalia » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:21 am

Has there been progress in this study? I am interested. I'm trying to find the best ways to microdose amanita to treat autism and stumbled upon this method which piques my curiosity.

Donn

Post by Donn » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:22 pm

Not really adding much here, just that it's funny - in the 2nd research article clipping above, the excitement is over binding tritium into the molecule, a radioactive isotope of hydrogen. That must be what "3H2O" refers to. (And there's mention of D2O, where the isotope is deuterium, aka "heavy water".)

And I should point out that nausea is a recognized symptom with muscimol, too, so it isn't a really reliable test of conversion from ibotenic acid to muscimol.