Dehumidifier instead of dehydrator

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Aquavitae

Dehumidifier instead of dehydrator

Post by Aquavitae » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:32 am

I´ve tried both and find dehumidifier is better. Get cracker dry caps in less than 72 hours. It´s more expensive but it pays. I already had a dehumidifier before finding the first AM as I live in a very humid place.

Tried drying them first with the oven, then dehydrator and lastly dehumidifier. Been using for this purpose for more than 10 years and still works great.
These users thanked the author Aquavitae for the post (total 2):
T36Splinters and Shards

Rebis

Re: Dehumidifier instead of dehydrator

Post by Rebis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Aquavitae wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:32 am
I´ve tried both and find dehumidifier is better. Get cracker dry caps in less than 72 hours. It´s more expensive but it pays. I already had a dehumidifier before finding the first AM as I live in a very humid place.

Tried drying them first with the oven, then dehydrator and lastly dehumidifier. Been using for this purpose for more than 10 years and still works great.
How do you use the dehumidifier, Aquavitae?
Do you have something rigged up near or above the air inlet or outlet, for your mushrooms to rest on?

Best.
Rebis.

Aquavitae

Post by Aquavitae » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Rebis wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:33 pm
Aquavitae wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:32 am

How do you use the dehumidifier, Aquavitae?
Do you have something rigged up near or above the air inlet or outlet, for your mushrooms to rest on?

Best.
Rebis.
Hi Rebis. I place the caps on two or three trays in front of the dehumidifier, on gound level. Turn the caps every 8-12 hours.
Attachments
BXNX47y - Imgur.jpg
BXNX47y - Imgur.jpg (625.97 KiB) Viewed 8472 times
Last edited by Aquavitae on Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Splinters and ShardsRebis

Rebis

Post by Rebis » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:12 am

Fantastic looking AMs there, Aquavitae.
Wish I hadn't left it so late looking for them.
I found a few, but they won't last me very long.
By next year though, I'll be more prepared with all the gear, and the knowledge of when and where to look in my area.

Best.
Rebis.
These users thanked the author Rebis for the post:
Aquavitae

Aquavitae

Post by Aquavitae » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:28 pm

I consider there is much of art in this whole matter, like in whisky and other spirits brewing

Of course, there is no ibotenic acid conversion to muscimol in this phase of the process. Decarboxylation of ibotenic acid comes later, during curation/aging while in storage, and heating, done separately, and the heating done (possibly) in two different subphases.

So, once the caps are cracker dry they may be stored in a jar in cool dark place, and exposed to the dehumidifier every couple of months (for less than one hour) as they are hygroscopic, even inside a jar. All the variations in the smell of the dry caps being curated inside the jar denote a chemical reaction in development.

When the smell as you open the jar is "perfect", that´s to say evocative of descriptions of soma´s unique and distinct sweet scent in the Rig Vedas for example; then you may heat the caps for further decarboxylation in the oven, or in a water decoction as Amanita dreamer says in her videos, or in a hot alcohol/water extraction, etc.
Last edited by Aquavitae on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Splinters and ShardsRebis

Splinters and Shards

Post by Splinters and Shards » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:23 pm

@Aquavitae Those are some beautiful caps! What type of dehumidifier do you use? I have a small one and am wondering if I need to get something bigger.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge!
These users thanked the author Splinters and Shards for the post:
Aquavitae

Aquavitae

Post by Aquavitae » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:31 pm

Splinters and Shards wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:23 pm
@Aquavitae Those are some beautiful caps! What type of dehumidifier do you use? I have a small one and am wondering if I need to get something bigger.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge!
We are all here to learn and share I think

I use an LG dry master, more than 14 years old

Splinters and Shards

Post by Splinters and Shards » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:39 pm

@Aquavitae Thank you! That is a serious machine, makes mine look like a toy. I'll see if the little one I have will work if confined to a smaller space, but am definitely thinking about going bigger on the one I have anyway.

Aquavitae

Post by Aquavitae » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Splinters and Shards wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:39 pm
@Aquavitae Thank you! That is a serious machine, makes mine look like a toy. I'll see if the little one I have will work if confined to a smaller space, but am definitely thinking about going bigger on the one I have anyway.
You are correct in considering the size of the space in which the drying takes place; the smaller the better.

Once you get a bigger dehumidifier you can use it in combination with the one you already have to dry the caps in less time.
These users thanked the author Aquavitae for the post:
Splinters and Shards