First Time User Advice

Feel free to discuss what you want.
mushnoob
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First Time User Advice

Post by mushnoob » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:13 am

Hi all,
I've recently picked a bunch of A. Muscaria and am air drying them to prepare for consumption.
I've watched most of Amanita Dreamer's videos on dosing/drying/preparation and I don't think she's mentioned ibotenic acid conversion rates when you airdry? She's mentioned the general rule of thumb that 30% is converted when heat drying, 30% more when boiling/simmering, and a further 30% converted with lemon/citric acid (rough percentages of course).
So basically I'm wondering what my dried caps will be like in terms of ibotenic acid content? And how different would it be air drying/boiling/adding lemon compared to heat drying/boiling/adding lemon?
I don't want to oven dry my caps as I've heard mixed reviews about that so I can only air dry them. Any help on this would be great, and also advise on a first time dose?

Thanks ya'll :)

Isan

Re: First Time User Advice

Post by Isan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:34 pm

mushnoob wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:13 am
Hi all,
I've recently picked a bunch of A. Muscaria and am air drying them to prepare for consumption.
I've watched most of Amanita Dreamer's videos on dosing/drying/preparation and I don't think she's mentioned ibotenic acid conversion rates when you airdry? She's mentioned the general rule of thumb that 30% is converted when heat drying, 30% more when boiling/simmering, and a further 30% converted with lemon/citric acid (rough percentages of course).
So basically I'm wondering what my dried caps will be like in terms of ibotenic acid content? And how different would it be air drying/boiling/adding lemon compared to heat drying/boiling/adding lemon?
I don't want to oven dry my caps as I've heard mixed reviews about that so I can only air dry them. Any help on this would be great, and also advise on a first time dose?

Thanks ya'll :)
I don't remember which video Amanita Dreamer says this in but there is little to no conversion of ibo to muscimol during air drying. This is why you need heat in the range of something like 155-195°F when drying, if possible.

Unfortunately, I have only been able to acquire Amanitas pre-dried without heat as well and I just boil/simmer then use lemon tek on all my microdoses.

This rolls right into dosing which plain and simple there is no one size fits all because of the vast variables everyone uncontrollably has. BUT you can start somewhere along the lines of 1/8 tsp and work your way up from there. Don't forget each batch can be dramatically different so always start on the low end and work up.

Hope this helps, happy 🍄.
These users thanked the author Isan for the post:
stcyrwm
May Peace Prevail on Earth

Donn

Re: First Time User Advice

Post by Donn » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:21 pm

Note that three 30% conversions in a row gets you about 65%. But you can't take those conversion rates to the bank, so to speak - the reports I've seen show a rather wide range of variation for whatever reason. I think the bottom line is really, don't worry too much about it. People eat them and survive. Maybe it depends on how hard you're planning to hit it - I'm a lightweight myself.

I dried mine in the oven. I have an oven thermometer, I crack the oven door a couple inches and keep it in a range around 170°F. There's a fan built into the oven, which is nice but I doubt it's essential.
These users thanked the author Donn for the post:
stcyrwm