Can cooking destroy muscimol? Max temp?

Feel free to discuss what you want.
amanitalover

Can cooking destroy muscimol? Max temp?

Post by amanitalover » Thu May 07, 2020 12:56 pm

I log all my AM experiences and today I read back a lot of what I tried and the effects it had.

It seems to me that taking 2gr dried AM, had more effect then using AM after simmering for 20 min.
Could it be the cooking destroys part of the muscimol? I just brought it to the boil and let it simmer, just like in the video.

The good thing about cooking is there is no nausia.

I read in the pdf on the amanitadreamers' facebook page about the 2 methods of conversion. (heat and fermentation)
... simmered for 2-3 hours at 190F with the lid on...
190F = 87C, so way below boiling point.
So I was wondering if there is maybe a max temperature to simmering?

Does it need to boil first, before simmering?
I'm thinking about using an oven which I can set way more precise temperature using a food-thermometer.

amanitadreamer

Re: Can cooking destroy muscimol? Max temp?

Post by amanitadreamer » Fri May 08, 2020 1:13 am

amanitalover wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:56 pm
I log all my AM experiences and today I read back a lot of what I tried and the effects it had.

It seems to me that taking 2gr dried AM, had more effect then using AM after simmering for 20 min.
Could it be the cooking destroys part of the muscimol? I just brought it to the boil and let it simmer, just like in the video.

The good thing about cooking is there is no nausia.

I read in the pdf on the amanitadreamers' facebook page about the 2 methods of conversion. (heat and fermentation)
... simmered for 2-3 hours at 190F with the lid on...
190F = 87C, so way below boiling point.
So I was wondering if there is maybe a max temperature to simmering?

Does it need to boil first, before simmering?
I'm thinking about using an oven which I can set way more precise temperature using a food-thermometer.

2 grams is a lot. Hard to cross measure volume to weight to say if your tea dose is larger or smaller. When you eat it you are getting mostly ibotenic acid which has a very different effect than muscimol. Cooking it converts that ibo.
The pdf also talks about acid conversion using citric acid. I made a video based on that about lemon tek. You'll just push conversion to upwards of 90% with an acid.
All the heat conversion is done after 20 minutes or so. You can push conversion further with acid. No need to boil for that long.
When you want to know what temp destroys something, google melting point. Muscimol is 185C, 365F.
What are you using an oven for?
No need for any of this. If you eat it dry, you're getting ibo. Cook it like I show you, use lemon tek. You're done.
These users thanked the author amanitadreamer for the post:
earnestpea
The sun never says to the Earth, "You owe me". Look what happens with a love like that. It lights up the whole sky. ~Sufi
AmanitaDreamer.Net for videos on amanita
Community/mushroomvoice.com
YouTube Amanita Dreamer
Instagram @amanitadreamer

Donn

Re: Can cooking destroy muscimol? Max temp?

Post by Donn » Fri May 08, 2020 2:30 am

amanitalover wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:56 pm
Note that as long as what you're cooking there isn't quite dry, it won't reach the temperature your thermometer indicates, and that's just one of the temperature measuring problems in an oven. My thermometer can be immersed in water, too, and the better conductive/convective properties of water seem to me to point to that as a better route if you want precision.

I do (carefully) use an oven for drying, and that is also the official heat treatment - I'm not saying an oven is no good for that, just that it isn't tops for precision. I usually simmer them, but mainly just to extract, not to convert - I personally don't notice that it makes a whole lot of difference. If you find that different preparations are reliably different in ways you can describe, don't hesitate to share your experience.
These users thanked the author Donn for the post:
earnestpea