Difference between ointment and tincture

Feel free to discuss what you want.
ZombieAngel

Difference between ointment and tincture

Post by ZombieAngel » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:02 pm

I've only been experimenting for about a month now, but I've tested out the fly agaric tincture and ointment from Jagged Path and I got a var. guessowii tincture from aumanita alchemy on etsy. Because of my extreme digestive issues, I find I far prefer using any of these topically which seems to have a comperable effect to ingestion. I also have found the ointment a lot more useful, especially for sleep. (The core method I'm leaning towards at this point is using ~5-10 small rubs of the ointment every other day in the evening, and then I will feel more energetic when I wake up the next day.)

The tinctures seem to have a less heady effect, and are more effective for pain and energy, but they cause me anxiety and possibly make my sleep worse. The ointment is different, somehow it even seems able to "activate" the tincture if I use a little of the ointment with it to make it more calming.

My theory is that (I'm guessing) the fly agaric for the ointment is dried, and then also steeped in warm oil for an extended period of time, maybe converting more ibotenic acid to muscimol similarly to stewing the dried mushroom. That theory might be supported by the fact that the var. guessowii feels more calming than the tincture of the red fly agaric, because if I'm not mistaken, I THINK the American versions tend to have more muscimol?

But this doesn't really explain its interaction together with the tincture, except maybe I'm just getting a more complete range of various properties from being extracted in different ways.

I don't know if you guys have any more insight into this in regards to the make-up of ointment vs tincture?
These users thanked the author ZombieAngel for the post:
Fungo
no guilt in life ☼ no fear in death

Fungo

Re: Difference between ointment and tincture

Post by Fungo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:07 pm

ZombieAngel wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:02 pm
I've only been experimenting for about a month now, but I've tested out the fly agaric tincture and ointment from Jagged Path and I got a var. guessowii tincture from aumanita alchemy on etsy. Because of my extreme digestive issues, I find I far prefer using any of these topically which seems to have a comperable effect to ingestion. I also have found the ointment a lot more useful, especially for sleep. (The core method I'm leaning towards at this point is using ~5-10 small rubs of the ointment every other day in the evening, and then I will feel more energetic when I wake up the next day.)

The tinctures seem to have a less heady effect, and are more effective for pain and energy, but they cause me anxiety and possibly make my sleep worse. The ointment is different, somehow it even seems able to "activate" the tincture if I use a little of the ointment with it to make it more calming.

My theory is that (I'm guessing) the fly agaric for the ointment is dried, and then also steeped in warm oil for an extended period of time, maybe converting more ibotenic acid to muscimol similarly to stewing the dried mushroom. That theory might be supported by the fact that the var. guessowii feels more calming than the tincture of the red fly agaric, because if I'm not mistaken, I THINK the American versions tend to have more muscimol?

But this doesn't really explain its interaction together with the tincture, except maybe I'm just getting a more complete range of various properties from being extracted in different ways.

I don't know if you guys have any more insight into this in regards to the make-up of ointment vs tincture?
Hi, how do you apply the ointment?

In any specific part of the body?

ZombieAngel

Post by ZombieAngel » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:26 am

Fungo wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:07 pm
Hi, how do you apply the ointment?

In any specific part of the body?
When you use anything topically, it's more effective on thinner skin such as the wrists, neck, or thighs, but I also have used it on my knees or back for pain and that has some effect as well mentally although less.
These users thanked the author ZombieAngel for the post:
Fungo
no guilt in life ☼ no fear in death

Rebis

Post by Rebis » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:18 am

Below area couple of videos which talk about making salves and ointments.
There are many videos on YouTube about making herbal salves etc, but I posted the two below because they deal directly with Amainta Muscaria.

Amanita Muscaria - Fly Agaric - Part I - by Swanie Simon.

Amanita Muscaria - Fly agaric - Part III - by Swanie Simon.
[I left out part II, because Part III repeats most of Part II].

Enjoy.
Rebis.
These users thanked the author Rebis for the post:
Fungo