Is that a healthy fleece?

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Janeryk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is that a healthy fleece?

Post by Janeryk » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:28 am

Hello!
I started making ambrosia week ago and i grew nice white fleece with little dark spores. But few days ago on the top i saw a lot of white balls, much denser than the fleece. Is it healthy?
https://ibb.co/4dJgVtG

Cloudykinz

Re: Is that a healthy fleece?

Post by Cloudykinz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:56 pm

Does it look like mold?
The whole fleece thing is questionable, there are other posts on this subject in this forum somewhere that go into detail.
I am my own guinea pig

Janeryk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Janeryk » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:02 am

Thanks! It turned green, definietly not healthy!

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:27 am

Janeryk wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:02 am
Thanks! It turned green, definietly not healthy!
Ambrosia is where everyone wants to start, and unfortunately contamination is usually the result... but to answer your original question, YES!!! That was the correct fleece! Congrats on getting it! I highly recommend starting with living bread, then once you have some nice clean white hairy mold growing, pluck some off with sterilized tweezers and plop it into a fresh batch of juice!

We have a section dedicated towards these pursuits in our own section in this forum, just click Board Index>Amanita Muscaria>Ambrosia Society! Good luck!

@Cloudykinz you're right, it IS a mold. Don't let that scare you away though, just think of it like psychoactive Tempeh, which is ALSO a mold, and likely very closely related to our fleece. Tempeh is nutritious and delicious, safe to eat raw (but seriously just cook it! Lol) even when gone to spore. My experience with growing the fleece vs. tempeh is pretty much identical, only when fermenting tempeh it prefers a warmer environment. Considering the fleece comes from an endophytic relationship with Amanita, which is quite happy in the coldest of regions, it makes sense to me!

Proceed with the fleece, or not, as you will, but if you aren't immunocompromised in some way it should be completely safe to tinker with. I've eaten and drunk tons of it over time and it has been totally safe for me. At least fleece derived from Muscaria. I wondered if fleece derived from Pantherina would be more potent than muscaria, but no. It's identical in every way except for an added toxin that hurts your organs the longer you use it. So Just make sure if you do decide to try it, you make it from muscaria and not panther caps. Lol.

Cloudykinz

Post by Cloudykinz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:27 am

@Mcpato I haven't read all of your fleece post yet as it is quite extensive but it was unreal! I was the one who asked you to elaborate on psychoactive tempeh and you shared the link to that post. I was truly surprised at the way it looked in your photos, not what I was expecting. But anyway, it's a great post and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it. So much to learn. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
I am my own guinea pig

Mcpato

Post by Mcpato » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:12 am

Cloudykinz wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:27 am
@Mcpato I haven't read all of your fleece post yet as it is quite extensive but it was unreal! I was the one who asked you to elaborate on psychoactive tempeh and you shared the link to that post. I was truly surprised at the way it looked in your photos, not what I was expecting. But anyway, it's a great post and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it. So much to learn. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
I'm probably a bit more verbose than I need to be in my posts, but that is the result of excitement and enthusiasm! If you're interested in persuing the fleece, consider me a resource to help, and a very interested party to whatever may come to mind for your experiments!

Yeah the way I have produced the fleece has resulted in lots of black spores which truly is unappealing... I know it. If it makes you feel better most people before me stopped the fleece growth right before the sporulation stage, so it can look a lot better than I do it. I seek metabolite production which gets noticeably stronger if I let it go until it's finished. I don't mind the spores but it grosses my wife out! Lol! On the other hand the fleece definitely has a better taste if it isn't so strong. There's plenty of room for experimentation and play so you can adjust your methods to produce a visually appealing and delicious version compared to what I've done, and I'd really love to see whatever you come up with!

Also check the Ambrosia experiments section!