Spores

Feel free to discuss what you want.
CDB
Been thanked: 0

Spores

Post by CDB » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:55 am

I've only become a member of this website. However, I have a deep desire to understand Amanita. Ideally I would like to grow my own. I have a pretty high tech setup for growing other species of mushrooms. Is there a good and reliable source of spores for Amanita? Unlike Golden Teachers, the availability of sports seems pretty limited.

How about you? Have you found a good source of spores for home growing?

Thank you

Chad

tgt1002

Re: Spores

Post by tgt1002 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:31 am

They can not be cultivated at least not the way you are thinking. They require a abiotic relationship with a compatible tree. One can make a slurry from fresh picked Amanita and pour it around a compatible tree. Sadly this has a very high failure rate of up to 95% some estimates say. Basically do that and pray and maybe you will see mushrooms in 5 years.

One other option that I have only explored theoretically is to plant a compatible sappling using some soil already colonized by Amanita Muscaria. The guy that runs soma supplies sells such a soil sample, but I have only thought about this never tried it as I am not currently a home owner. I suspect doing such a thing would still take at least a year or two to yield shroomies and would still likely have a high failure rate, but perhaps it would be a lower failure rate than the other method. Soma supplies also sells spores (I think) but I don't think that it is worth it.

Good luck
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this