I'm scared I messed up my first tea. Is it salvageable?

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Curious Mushroom

I'm scared I messed up my first tea. Is it salvageable?

Post by Curious Mushroom » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:32 pm

Hello beautiful people!

So I've never tried amanita muscaria before but I feel very drawn to these mushrooms and I've been obsessively watching @amanitadreamer's videos. Beautiful red fly agaric specimens grow in the woods near my house so I picked some and brought the caps home with me.

Yesterday I tried drying these caps in my fan oven. (I used an oven thermometer to regulate the temperature and had the door cracked open.) I thought it might work because I successfully dried some other caps in my friend's oven the day before that. However, her oven must be different to mine because several of my caps started leaking/getting soggy.

I really didn't want to waste what I had so before they leaked too much, I took them out of the oven and tried to salvage them by making a tea as described in @amanitadreamer's preparation video. I used 15g of the fresh (but now somewhat soggy) caps. I don't think they released all their liquid in the oven because they also released plenty of color into the tea while simmering.

I was worried that by skipping heat-drying, I'd now failed to convert the first 30% of ibotenic acid. So I also added lemon juice to the tea while simmering it because I wanted to make my tea as safe as possible and I was concerned about experiencing nausea while taking it.

Now I have a few questions.

1) I froze this tea very soon after making it. I wanted to ask if the lemon juice will still make the tea go bad quickly or whether freezing should help preserve it. Did I screw up the tea by adding lemon juice so soon? Is it still usable?

I have watched @amanitadreamer's Lemon Tek video but I wasn't sure whether freezing lemony tea means it can still be stored.

2) Since @amanitadreamer makes her tea with 15g of dried caps - and I used 15g fresh - does that mean my dosing will be different? I've seen comments where @amanitadreamer says that if you're making tea with fresh caps, you should follow the same process you would with dried.

However, I've also read that in general fresh mushrooms are about 90% water. So does that mean a tea made with 15g of fresh mushrooms may be significantly weaker than a tea made with 15g of dried? Should I dose up to compensate?

For example I think if I ate 1g of fresh psilocybin Liberty Caps, I may not feel much, whereas 1g of dried Liberty Caps would be more likely to give me an effect.

Many thanks for your help everyone. I'm so grateful to have discovered this amazing community.

And thank you @amanitadreamer for the incredible work on your channel.
Last edited by Curious Mushroom on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tgt1002

Re: I'm scared I messed up my first tea. Is it salvageable?

Post by tgt1002 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:36 pm

the 30% from drying is hit or miss to begin with plus a small amount of ibo is ok
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this

Curious Mushroom

Post by Curious Mushroom » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Thank you so much for your reply! I figured that might be the case so that's why I went ahead with the tea even though I wasn't able to heat dry.

Do you know anything about how dosing tea made with fresh caps might differ compared to dosing tea made with dried caps? Or have you had any success with freezing tea which contains lemon juice?

tgt1002

Post by tgt1002 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:27 pm

well if you think about it fresh weighs more because all that water is still in there so chances are 15g fresh will make weaker tea than 15g dry, but with how variable the potency is of this mushroom you gotta slowly test batches to determine potency either way. Good luck
~IDK who said this

Curious Mushroom

Post by Curious Mushroom » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:44 am

Thanks so much for taking time out to answer @tgt1002 ! It truly means a lot. :)

tgt1002

Post by tgt1002 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:05 am

NP GL
~IDK who said this