Safe to Try Amanitas on SSRIs?

Feel free to discuss what you want.
chrisdoogy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Safe to Try Amanitas on SSRIs?

Post by chrisdoogy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi! I recently bought some powdered AM from last year's harvest. It's a relatively weak batch, and my friend and I each had 4 tsps (~15g) with just a mild benzo high. I'm interested in trying 6 tsps, but I know that Amanitas act as SSRIs, and I am already on 50mg Sertraline daily. Sertraline has a half life of ~26 hours, so I plan on not taking it the day before I take the AMs again (I've done this before without harm) to lower the levels in my body. Do any of you think that it is safe to give this a shot, or would you recommend against it?

tgt1002

Re: Safe to Try Amanitas on SSRIs?

Post by tgt1002 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:30 pm

As far as I am aware amanita has no action on serotonin receptors. The main ingredients ibotenic acid and muscimol do not hit serotonin receptors. The muscimol hits/agonises GABA similar to alcohol or benzos although it does hit it Inna somewhat different way as I understand it. Ibotenic acid causes agonism of the NMDA receptors. This is because Muscimol is a conformationally restricted analog of GABA and ibotenic acid is an analogue of glutamate. If you are unfamiliar with NMDA receptors think DXM ketamine and PCP these and drugs like them block or antagonise these receptors where as ibotenic acid activates/hits/agonises/stimulates them. I know of no scientifically proven reason for Amanitas to be more dangerous in combination with SSRIs at the same time nothing saying it is safe so you will be taking a risk as for all we know it could kill you. That said the most notable thing people worry about with SSRI combos is serotonin syndrome which I doubt would result from this combo. Even taking into account Muscarine which is only in trace amount you are dealing with Muscarinic receptor agonism and I doubt that would have any effect on serotonin levels.

Sorry for the non answer but hopefully you got the info you needed out of that
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this

chrisdoogy
Has thanked: 0

Post by chrisdoogy » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:18 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I've had serotonin syndrome before and when taking AM alongside my medication last time I felt nothing like that, so I imagine it's fine, and this gives me further confidence. I'll report back after trying a higher dose.

tgt1002

Post by tgt1002 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:50 pm

we look forward to hearing about it, but please be careful :)
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this

amanitadreamer

Post by amanitadreamer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:12 am

chrisdoogy wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:04 pm
Hi! I recently bought some powdered AM from last year's harvest. It's a relatively weak batch, and my friend and I each had 4 tsps (~15g) with just a mild benzo high. I'm interested in trying 6 tsps, but I know that Amanitas act as SSRIs, and I am already on 50mg Sertraline daily. Sertraline has a half life of ~26 hours, so I plan on not taking it the day before I take the AMs again (I've done this before without harm) to lower the levels in my body. Do any of you think that it is safe to give this a shot, or would you recommend against it?
I'd be interested in reading where something said that muscimol or ibotenic acid acted as an SSRI. That's not true, BTW. I am in agreement with TGT above.
The sun never says to the Earth, "You owe me". Look what happens with a love like that. It lights up the whole sky. ~Sufi
AmanitaDreamer.Net for videos on amanita
Community/mushroomvoice.com
YouTube Amanita Dreamer
Instagram @amanitadreamer

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:36 pm

Last edited by eucalyptus on Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author eucalyptus for the post:
alchemista

alchemista

Post by alchemista » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:02 am

Hello to all. I'm new here.
I have stopped taking ssri now for almost two month's.
I still do take benzo's -- 3mg at night only to sleep.

Can AM help with stopping completely? Or reducing use?
And then help with insomnia?

Thank you again 💓
These users thanked the author alchemista for the post:
Rausch

Rausch

Post by Rausch » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:48 pm

alchemista wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:02 am
Hello to all. I'm new here.
I have stopped taking ssri now for almost two month's.
I still do take benzo's -- 3mg at night only to sleep.

Can AM help with stopping completely? Or reducing use?
And then help with insomnia?

Thank you again 💓
I have a similar question/situation. I've been taking kratom for insomnia and migraines for about 4 years. My tolerance has grown rather quickly and I'll either need to temporarily or permanently stop them as I'm starting to see the early signs of addiction and lowered efficacy. Through different media I have heard talk of AM helping with pain, insomnia, and anxiety. I have had these problems for over 30 years and tried most prescribed pharma out there with little to no relief. Some narcotics have worked but I have no desire to develop an addiction to those (and frankly I'm one of the few that gets nausea nearly every time taking them.) I'm not looking for something to daily dose but something I could mix in to a rotation of things so nothing is taken enough to become addictive or lead to a quickly developing tolerance. I suppose an answer to their question above would also help greatly with my questions as well.

alchemista

Post by alchemista » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:31 pm

Thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to trying AM to remedy the insomnia I'm suffering from 2014.

So I wonder what would be the best ways and in what form.

Yes something to take not on a regular basis like chronic meds. 🙏🏼