Oven Drying

Feel free to discuss what you want.
absinthium

Oven Drying

Post by absinthium » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:23 pm

I know that this had been discussed a lot, but my situation is a bit more different.

Now my questions are:

1- Can I do the dehydration and decarboxylation at the same time? in my oven? I have an oven which has internal fans in it, also its temperature can be set between 73.8 C - 87-7 C

2- Is it bad to directly put fresh, hydrated amanitas in this temperature? (73.8- 87.7 C degrees)

3- If the answer for the first question is yes, then do I still have to leave the oven door crack open, even though my oven has internal fans?

Thanks in advance! :)

Donn

Re: Oven Drying

Post by Donn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:54 pm

If you can keep it to the lower end of that range, reliably, then it looks OK to me. 87°C (188.6°F) is hotter than I think is recommended, though honestly I may have lost track of the optimum temperature - I think it's 160-170°F.

I just hauled in an armload of the stuff and have been drying it in the oven, with convection fan on, and some pieces were a bit scorched even though the thermometer had it on the low end of that range or below (it isn't that precise.) Haven't tried it to see how that turned, pharmacologically speaking. I leave the door open a finger or two - it isn't just for movement of air, but also replacement, since air from outside will be much drier once it's heated.;