A practice run at oven drying

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Matt

A practice run at oven drying

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Last night I thought I'd set a couple caps out on the kitchen counter to air dry. Upon reviewing this morning it seemed to me that they would take approximately forever to dry and they were already starting to discolor a bit. I think they would just go mushy and disintegrate before they dried. So I put them in the oven. Before I did so I played around with the fan and keeping the door propped open and tweaking the temperature slightly. What I found to keep the temp between 165F and 174F was a small block of wood propping the door open with the oven set on 180F.
And instead of trying to describe how they look and feel, I just recorded this short video.

This was 2.5 hours with my oven setup. I think another .5 hour might be enough.

Anyway, as stated before I'm a newb and greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts, comments, suggestions on how to prepare Amanita for muscimol entheogenic uses.
Primal Northwest
https://www.primalnw.com

Rebis

Re: A practice run at oven drying

Post by Rebis » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Matt, most of mine end up looking like that.
Could it be caused bruising? In my case by scraping off the mud, and finger pressure on the underside.
I have a fruit dryer which goes up to 70.C, and it takes all afternoon and night. I don't remove them till the morning on getting up - so roughly anything over fifteen hours.

Rebis.
These users thanked the author Rebis for the post:
Matt

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:45 pm

Rebis wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:50 pm
Could it be caused bruising? In my case by scraping off the mud, and finger pressure on the underside.
I have a fruit dryer which goes up to 70.C, and it takes all afternoon and night. I don't remove them till the morning on getting up - so roughly anything over fifteen hours.

Rebis.
The discoloration seemed to be occurring where the mushroom was the most wet. The mushroom at the top had some water sitting in its gills. So I'd say it had more to do with water content than bruising.
These users thanked the author Matt for the post:
Rebis
Primal Northwest
https://www.primalnw.com

Rebis

Post by Rebis » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:00 pm

Matt wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:45 pm
Rebis wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:50 pm

Rebis.
The discoloration seemed to be occurring where the mushroom was the most wet. The mushroom at the top had some water sitting in its gills. So I'd say it had more to do with water content than bruising.
That will explain it then. For some reason every time I have had the time to forage it has rained heavily the night or day before.

Rebis.

Donn

Post by Donn » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:22 am

I've been seeing what looks to me like some scorching. While I have the "convection" fan on, I know from cooking in that oven that the temperatures will be higher in some places than others. As I imagine is usually the case.