Can someone present a reliable scientific source for conversion temperature?

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Donn

Re: Can someone present a reliable scientific source for conversion temperature?

Post by Donn » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:11 am
Is there any difference in quality of conversion for temps between 165F and 284F? If one were so inclined you could sous vide for 1 hour at 170F, 1 hour at 180F, and 1 hour at 190F. But would there be any point in doing so, or would the low end of the temperature range work just as well?

Is there any benefit to exceeding 1 hour in that temperature range?
I don't think there's such a solid answer to this question. The published research on it is a little sketchy, people take some of it and reject some, and the conversion process itself is multidimensional.

You can see some results from various temperatures in Change in Ibotenic Acid and Muscimol Contents in Amanita muscaria during Drying, Storing or Cooking, from 122°F to 248°F. The result is an increase in the percentage of muscimol at each higher temperature - but wait! also a decrease in muscimol, at each higher temperature over 140°F (60°C.)

That says to me that after 140°F or so, as it gets hotter, it's degrading these components faster than it's converting them. Are you doing this because you love muscimol, or because you hate ibotenic acid? That's what I mean by a "multidimensional" conversion process.

Similar with the sun drying experiment, where it's just a time difference, three days vs. eleven. Higher percentage, lower amount.

Also note that the range of variation is high in these results.
These users thanked the author Donn for the post:
Rebis