Culinary Applications

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Donn

Culinary Applications

Post by Donn » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:40 am

Since ibotenic acid is a "flavor enhancer" like MSG, it's no surprise that fly agaric turns out to be a mighty tasty mushroom.

A couple of things I tried recently:

- Fried part of a large stem. Found it somewhat psychoactive, and the savory flavor was quite strong. Also put part of a smaller stem in some red bean soup, with neither flavor or psychoactive effects.

- Fried less than half of a medium cap, with pepperoncini peppers, and ate it with some squash soup. Strong and long lasting enough psychoactive effects, and powerful enough flavor, that next time I will use less. May try running it through the blender with the soup.

For me, the flavor of this mushroom is so intense that it's a little challenging. I'd like to think there's a herb or something that would complement it, but maybe it's better chopped very fine and mixed in. So far it seems much more intense when fried in oil or butter, but that may be only coincidence.

The effects are what I think you'd expect from high ibotenic acid material. I guess people react differently to that, and if you're very sensitive and get cramps and throw up and so forth, I imagine the gastronomical delights aren't going to be worth it. I just get a strong flush, and a desire to crawl in bed. I suppose there's also some transformation into a more highly evolved person during my nap, but I'm likely not sensitive enough to know the difference.

Now, we have also tried it drained - boil it in water, throw out the water, maybe more than once. No ibotenic acid there - and not much flavor either. I guess fly agaric may not have much true flavor, once the "flavor enhancer" effect from the ibotenic acid is gone. I believe there's going to be an attempt to dry some boiled material, to see what that tastes like.
These users thanked the author Donn for the post (total 3):
MattAquavitaebigsalisr

tgt1002

Re: Culinary Applications

Post by tgt1002 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:19 pm

Cool work keep it up :D
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this