Storage as an Invert Sugar Syrup

Feel free to discuss what you want.
drabzz

Storage as an Invert Sugar Syrup

Post by drabzz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:06 pm

I have been thinking about how to store the liquid resulting from the boiling extraction process described in Amanita Dreamer's excellent videos.

I like the idea of preserving it using her fruit leather apple/fruit pulp drying process. This led me to wonder if an invert sugar syrup would also be good for long term storage. Invert sugar syrups use lemon to invert some of the sucrose to fructose, so this might also have beneficial effects. Invert syrups have a very long shelf life, and one would hope that if they are stored out of direct sunlight, this shelf life might extend to the active compounds in the amanita extract too.

There are a number of YouTube videos on the process of creating British style golden syrup, so I'm planning to experiment with replacing some of the water in the recipe with amanita extract. The resulting syrup would be an easily measurable and therefore scalable method of micro, therapeutic and recreational dosing, simply by stirring a given measure into a hot drink or into a recipe like ANZAC biscuits.

Before I waste a batch of caps, has anybody got any advice to offer?
These users thanked the author drabzz for the post:
bigsalisr
The Universe wants us to succeed!

tgt1002

Re: Storage as an Invert Sugar Syrup

Post by tgt1002 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:54 pm

DO IT and tell us about it
These users thanked the author tgt1002 for the post (total 2):
drabzzClarabella
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this

drabzz

Post by drabzz » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:18 am

My original idea of making a British style golden syrup would have been a sticky mess and it would therefore have been much harder to gauge doses.

I have taken the equivalent of 64 micro-doses of the extract together with 120g sugar and 500ml filtered water and I have created a liquid invert sugar syrup, rather like that used by bartenders. I used a quarter of a lemon to invert the syrup by converting some of the sucrose into fructose. I will keep the syrup refrigerated but I would expect it to be shelf stable in a sterile container given the amount of sugar used.

I started with four tablespoons of sugar heated to 150C/300F 'hard crack', which creates a nice golden colour and a light caramel flavour. I carefully added boiling filtered water to the 'hard crack', along with my 64 doses defrosted from ice cubes and the remaining sugar. This mixture I simmered along with the juice of a quarter of a lemon for about 20 minutes to make the finished syrup. I have used the syrup to sweeten tea and it is most pleasant to use without making the tea sickly sweet.

Much love!
These users thanked the author drabzz for the post (total 3):
tgt1002Clarabellabigsalisr

amanitadreamer

Post by amanitadreamer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:59 pm

drabzz wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:06 pm
I have been thinking about how to store the liquid resulting from the boiling extraction process described in Amanita Dreamer's excellent videos.

I like the idea of preserving it using her fruit leather apple/fruit pulp drying process. This led me to wonder if an invert sugar syrup would also be good for long term storage. Invert sugar syrups use lemon to invert some of the sucrose to fructose, so this might also have beneficial effects. Invert syrups have a very long shelf life, and one would hope that if they are stored out of direct sunlight, this shelf life might extend to the active compounds in the amanita extract too.

There are a number of YouTube videos on the process of creating British style golden syrup, so I'm planning to experiment with replacing some of the water in the recipe with amanita extract. The resulting syrup would be an easily measurable and therefore scalable method of micro, therapeutic and recreational dosing, simply by stirring a given measure into a hot drink or into a recipe like ANZAC biscuits.

Before I waste a batch of caps, has anybody got any advice to offer?
Someone commented a long time ago on one of my videos on doing this and said it was an ancient handed down thing. Plus the lemon would decarb. I have seen this done with apples, just by reduction and without even adding anything. I was going to experiment this winter with it so please keep us posted on how long it keeps.
These users thanked the author amanitadreamer for the post:
drabzz
The sun never says to the Earth, "You owe me". Look what happens with a love like that. It lights up the whole sky. ~Sufi
AmanitaDreamer.Net for videos on amanita
Community/mushroomvoice.com
YouTube Amanita Dreamer
Instagram @amanitadreamer

drabzz

Post by drabzz » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:43 am

The invert sugar syrup is totally stable when stored in a sterile container. Once opened I keep it refrigerated and it lasts for weeks.

I refer you to my previous post of Nov 24 2020 for the recipe I now use.

Big love!