Muscazone

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Timaeus
Has thanked: 0

Muscazone

Post by Timaeus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:13 am

So, I've read that European Amanita Muscarias are high in Muscazone. What do we actually know about Muscazone?

A Google search gives this:

Muscazone

Muscazone is a toxic chemical compound. It is an amino acid found in European fly agaric mushrooms. Consumption causes visual damage, mental confusion, and memory loss.

Sounds pretty scary, right? Well, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the web, as far as I can tell.

What are the subjective effects of this compound, and is it actually as harmful as the wikipedia article claims?
These users thanked the author Timaeus for the post:
SummerElse

amanitadreamer

Re: Muscazone

Post by amanitadreamer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:13 pm

Timaeus wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:13 am
So, I've read that European Amanita Muscarias are high in Muscazone. What do we actually know about Muscazone?

A Google search gives this:

Muscazone

Muscazone is a toxic chemical compound. It is an amino acid found in European fly agaric mushrooms. Consumption causes visual damage, mental confusion, and memory loss.

Sounds pretty scary, right? Well, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the web, as far as I can tell.

What are the subjective effects of this compound, and is it actually as harmful as the wikipedia article claims?
The book, Fly Agaric, A compedium by Kevin Feeney has a chapter on the constituents of the mushroom written by Ewa Maciejczyk (Muh chay check). She's the leading researcher on what's in this mushroom. Muscazone is created by converting ibotenic acid through photoconversion, using the sun. American ones don't do that. On pg 354 she says that it induces weak pharmaceutical effects. If there was anything else important that we know about it, it would be here in this chapter so this must be all we know.
I can speak to the differences between american and european ones but no idea if that difference is because of the muscazone or not. I also think that there's not much of it to matter when I've seen percentages and also I rarely trust toxicity statements because they lack context. One would suffer ibo poisoning long before issues with muscazone if only because of how weak it is.
These users thanked the author amanitadreamer for the post:
SummerElse
The sun never says to the Earth, "You owe me". Look what happens with a love like that. It lights up the whole sky. ~Sufi
AmanitaDreamer.Net for videos on amanita
Community/mushroomvoice.com
YouTube Amanita Dreamer
Instagram @amanitadreamer