Derek And David's Vegan Conversion Thread

Feel free to discuss what you want.
lostmushroomforest

Re: Derek And David's Vegan Conversion Thread

Post by lostmushroomforest » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:23 am

11/4/21 Update - Just started two new 1L SOMABUCHA batches with 15g dried Lithuanian A. Regalis and 20g dried Lithuania A. Muscaria. Made a slight change from the V1 recipe - used 200mL fresh starter tea from an acidified normal kombucha batch, and 100mL of SCOBY from a previous SOMABUCHA batch. I did not want the starter tea to have any actives from previous batches that would muddy the effect of new batches. Hoping the larger amount of bacteria / slightly lower pH at the start will increase the decarb %. Will post some updates with first trials around the 14 day mark.

I am thinking about starting a sugar kombucha SCOBY to see if I can get faster decarb, just need to figure out how to evenly heat a 1L batch to 86F with precision. Then figuring out a way to cultivate / introduce high decarb L. Brevis - I feel like it may be too late in the season here to source wild bacteria from foraged fruits/leaves. I am thinking maybe lacto-pickle brine or rice water left to ferment?
These users thanked the author lostmushroomforest for the post:
josmllr8

lostmushroomforest

Post by lostmushroomforest » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:37 am

Found these brewing articles which may be helpful for isolating + culturing wild Lactobacillus with modifications:

https://www.fivebladesbrewing.com/optim ... us-growth/

https://www.fivebladesbrewing.com/lacto ... ter-guide/
josmllr8

lostmushroomforest

Post by lostmushroomforest » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:41 pm

11/21/21 Update: Bottled the Lithuanian A. Muscaria and A. Regalis SOMABUCHA batches at the 14 day mark. The modifications to the V1 recipe (200ml starter tea, 100mL SCOBY) sped up the decarb rate noticeably, with acidification also occurring at a faster rate. I still need to take pH readings of the completed batches, and will update the thread with that.

I started another SOMABUCHA batch yesterday with 25g dried Canadian Amanita Muscaria var. Guessowii (quickly becoming my favorite Amanita species/subspecies). I also made two modifcations from the V1 recipe. Based on the last batch, I increased the amount of Amanita SCOBY to 200mL and kept the amount of fresh non-Amanita starter tea at 200mL. Hoping this will speed up decarb rates even further.

I also used raw honey and did not heat the honey to allow the dormant wild bacteria from the honey to be added to the brew. I'm hoping this will introduce some wild Lactobacillus from the bees and flowers that are even more effective decarboxylators.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned starting a sugar kombucha culture for decarb since the ideal temperature range of many Lactobacillus species (specifically L. Brevis) is closer to the temperature range of sugar kombucha (75F-85F). However, after some research, it looks like honey is a better food for Lactobacillus than sugar, and as a result should lead to higher Lactobacillus populations and higher levels of decarb.

Stimulatory effect of honey on multiplication of lactic acid bacteria under in vitro and in vivo conditions
https://sfamjournals.onlinelibrary.wile ... m%3Apubmed
" The effect of honey and sucrose on lactic acid bacteria in vitro and in rat gut was studied to determine whether these organisms were affected differently by honey compared with sucrose. Under in vitro conditions, the number of Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus plantarum counts increased 10-100 fold in the presence of honey compared with sucrose. Feeding of honey to rats also resulted in significant increase in counts of lactic acid bacteria."
Based on this, I will now try to adapt a honey kombucha culture to a higher temperature range (85F ideally) and see if it is a faster/more effective decarboxylator vs. 70F in side by side experiments using the same recipe + Amanita base tea.
Croneofthewoods

lostmushroomforest

Post by lostmushroomforest » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:29 pm

11/27/21 Update: The A. Muscaria var Guessowii SOMABUCHA batch has been fermenting for 7 days now and the SCOBY definitely formed at a faster rate with the extra 100mL - it is approximately 5-6mm thick now - last batch was 2-3mm around this same time. Seeing more bubbles than the last batch, which is a sign of increased microbial activity - not sure how much of that is the additional SCOBY or the raw honey. I tried 5mL tonight and its acidic, but there's still some residual sweetness. It's not fully decarbed, but there's significantly more MUS than IBO at this point. I will let it go for another 3 days and see what the acidity / decarb level is like. It may be decarbing slightly faster than the last batch, but there wasn't as much of a difference as there was between the last batch and the V1 kombucha recipe.