Confusion about boiling for tincture

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Bronte
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Confusion about boiling for tincture

Post by Bronte » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:58 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of making tea with the intention of preserving it with vodka as a “tincture”. And it's taking a loooong time. Like I've been here for 2hrs. And while I'm making it, I was watching one of AD's videos about the 3hr boil and how you start to lose all your actives when you do that.

So I'm confused if the process I'm using to make this tincture is actually going to make a weaker end result. Is that right, or am I missing something about the tincture making method and how long to boil the tea down? To roughly reduce the liquid down to 1/5?

In case it makes a difference, I should also say that I'm using raw mushrooms (I can't do any more dehydrating as we're on solar and have no sun at the moment!) and have multiplied the 15g dry mushroom tea recipe by 10 roughly, with the raw mushrooms.

Thanks in advance (from a total newbie!) for your help!

Arktos

Re: Confusion about boiling for tincture

Post by Arktos » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:37 pm

When browsing the literature, one stumbles over some data about temperature. Muscimol seems to start to degrade over 80˚C, while Ibotenic acid is even more sensitive. Boiling is a no-no. I would even never try boiling for three hours. I make tea at around 70˚C for 15 minutes. Do not even simmer. The best way to make a tincture seems to be to simply macerate dried caps in alcohol. It takes time though. It is usually done in some weeks, it seems, like 3-4 weeks.
Arktos in my case refers to the bear, nothing else.