Johnny Appleseed

A place to discuss the various folkloric histories of Amanita's worldwide.
Damon

Johnny Appleseed

Post by Damon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:22 pm

So for those that need it, Johnny “Appleseed”/ Chapman is an American folk legend. He was a pioneer who traveled the eastern and central United States planting apple trees and preaching the gospel according to the “New Church”. Living in the wilderness, spreading his message, and planting nurseries in his travels, he is historically known and remembered for his highly influential speech and his kindness towards all living creatures. He rarely wore shoes, and wore a pot on his head as a cap.

Given the symbolic implications of the apple tree, and Johnny’s unusual lifestyle habits, you gotta wonder. Let me know what y’all find✌🏻
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed

e.risk
Has thanked: 0

Re: Johnny Appleseed

Post by e.risk » Wed May 11, 2022 9:43 pm

I feel like this is somehow both not impossible and highly unlikely. I’ve also wondered about the whole “fruit of the garden of Eden/tree of knowledge” being Amanita myself before. It wasn’t an “Apple”- still isn’t, strictly speaking- until Milton came along and I think Raphael the Renaissance painter? (It was A Renaissance painter anyway.) who happened to pick the Apple when depicting the scene (because ya gotta pick something) and then got really famous.

The trouble for me though is that I would really only believe John Chapman was secretly an Amanita Apostle if Edward Swedenborg was. And at just a brief cursory glance it doesn’t seem impossible- lots of references to internal spirituality and obviously believed the church had gone astray, and all his spiritual awakenings and visions came after a trip to Scandinavia? Coincidence?) but still you would think in his unpublished journals or SOMEWHERE he would have written about it all in the non metaphorical. Like there’s plenty of metaphor available where you can apply the idea that if Jesus the body of Christ is actually the mushroom body it all still makes sense but it just strains credulity for me that the guy wasn’t known for working with mushrooms. His whole thing was revealing the secrets of heaven supposedly so why conceal the biggest secret which is that actually you don’t need the Christian church you need the mushroom and proper ceremony?

Unless that IS more or less what he thought and was saying and it just has been HEAVILY censored. Idk. I’m definitely intrigued to read his book though!