Amanita Muscaria and physical health

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Aminta
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Amanita Muscaria and physical health

Post by Aminta » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:40 am

Hello, I'm starting to experience with this mushroom (smoked it in one occasion, ingested it the second time) and I'm very satisfied with the effects I've encountered so far.

However I am very curious to find some research or gather some info on the effects Amanita Muscaria can have on one's health, after both short and long term usage. I would assume smoking it is as bad for your lungs and nervous system as any type of smoke is, but I also read something about kidney and liver damage.

Can anyone direct me to some scientific research about this topic, or share some general information? I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.

Aminta

Re: Amanita Muscaria and physical health

Post by Aminta » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 am

I would be interested in particular in effects on the brain, since I've read in Michelot, Melendezz-Howell (2003):

"No direct toxic action on typical target systems implicated in mushroom poisonings (i.e. liver, kidneys, essential metabolism) has been reported (Michelot & Tebbett 1990, Michelot & Toth 1991, Michelot 1992). Nevertheless, repetitive injections of ibotenic acid induce a transient change in GABA receptor sensitivity (Taira, Uusi-Oukari & Korpi 1993) and might produce lesions in the basal forebrain as it destroys a small percentage of cholinergic cells (Harrington & Wenk 1992); the consequence in vivo would be a significant and prolonged learning and memory deficit (Connor, Langlais & Thal 1991)"

Donn

Post by Donn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:47 pm

Aminta wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 am
... repetitive injections of ibotenic acid
Don't do that, for sure - inject it into your brain, or anywhere else.

For more realistic scenarios, liking eating a little or drinking an infusion, I doubt we'll ever have really detailed information on health effects - the chemistry of the species is too varied, there isn't any such thing as standard preparation or dose, etc. - but if you want to get into specific reports of liver and kidney problems, we could take a look at it.

Aminta

Post by Aminta » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 pm

but if you want to get into specific reports of liver and kidney problems, we could take a look at it.
What do you mean? Cause yeah of course I'm interested.

Also of course I wouldn't inject Amanita in my brain (or anywhere else), but once you consume it doesn't some of the non-decarboxylated ibotenic acid go into the brain anyway? Sorry if my questions are dumb to you I'm just trying to learn of this drug works.

tgt1002

Post by tgt1002 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:22 am

They used to say DXM abuse could cause legions based purely on the fact that rats injected in the brain with it developed them. It has since been a disproven claim and while serious DXM abuse is bad for many reasons brain legions is not one of them. I see this the same way. Of course some of the ibotenic acid is gonna get to your brain and I do not see that as a bad thing. If you are getting a low enough dose of it to not get any serious un-plesant side effects your brain is probably gonna be fine. Can we know for sure? No not really. If your paranoid about it though you should probably stay away from almost all psychoactive substances, but again unless you plan on taking a high recreational dose multiple times a week or every day I imagine you are going to be fine. This mushroom seems to do best when taken either in tiny micro doses or in occasional recreational doses. I can not speak for anyone else, but I have an addictive personality and I still have no desire to use this mushroom constantly in a recreational sense.

Me < - - - Not a doctor or expert just giving my 2 cents
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this

Aminta

Post by Aminta » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 am

Thank you for your honest and reasonable answer. I guess we'll have to wait for some serious scientific studies about this mushroom's recreational consumption to be sure. In the meanwhile I think I'll just try not to abuse it.

Donn

Post by Donn » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 am

Aminta wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:23 pm
but if you want to get into specific reports of liver and kidney problems, we could take a look at it.
What do you mean?
Here's what I was talking about:
Aminta wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:40 am
I also read something about kidney and liver damage.
That might be serious, or it might be like the repetitive injections of ibotenic acid into the brain - not exactly relevant since we all (I think) know better than to do that. Hard to say - I don't know what you read or where you read it. If you want to pursue it, it's up to you.