General Eating?

A forum for discussing unsupported events or third-hand accounts.
witchofweeds
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

General Eating?

Post by witchofweeds » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:59 pm

This popped up recently, and it made me wonder if anyone(other than this original poster) have eaten amanitas just as normal food? In the comments they answered that they did not feel any 'effects' from this, it's all left in the water. It seemed that no one else who noticed this post had ever heard of/considered this before either, so I wanted to bring it somewhere that had more experience. I'm just starting to learn more about this wonderful fungi, so forgive if this is a bit of a silly question.

tgt1002

Re: General Eating?

Post by tgt1002 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:56 pm

My research indicates parboiling three times tossing the water and cooking is how they are prepped as food
"If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."
~IDK who said this

Donn

Re: General Eating?

Post by Donn » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 am

witchofweeds wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:59 pm
This popped up recently, and it made me wonder if anyone(other than this original poster) have eaten amanitas just as normal food?
My experience so far is that to avoid "effects", the amount has to be pretty small. The flavor potential is however so strong that this isn't a real problem. Ibotenic acid is itself apparently a "flavor enhancer" like MSG. My best result so far was maybe a tablespoon of fresh cap, minced up and fried lightly in olive oil, and then put in with some soup and blended. It doesn't sound like much, but you should think of this mushroom more like a herb than a vegetable. The effects from that soup were noticeable but very mild - not anywhere near as much as if I'd had a half glass of wine with lunch, for example. The flavor was very savory, seasoned only with fly agaric and salt - a pleasant slight mushroom taste, and that agreeable tastiness that comes from flavor enhancement.

Note that many people don't tolerate MSG, and many do. That isn't directly relevant, no reason to think there's any close relationship between MSG and ibotenic acid, but it's a reminder that what's good for me, and maybe you, may not be good for our dinner guests.