Amanitas dried at low temperature

Feel free to discuss what you want.
shanti
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Amanitas dried at low temperature

Post by shanti » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Hello everybody,

I have a question about amanitas dried at a low temperature (35-40 degrees celsius or 86-104 fahrenheit). Is there any way to correct this by any method? Could I just heat up the dried mushrooms again to convert more ibutenic acid into muscimol, or is there another way to correct that?

Thanks for your help,

Shanti

Donn

Re: Amanitas dried at low temperature

Post by Donn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:58 am

I hope you will try it, and let us know how it turns out. We don't seem to have an abundance of experience with variations like this.

You'd need some way to expose the test material for a while to a constant temperature that doesn't go over about 176°F / 80°C, and you'd need to be able to tell the difference if there's significant yield of muscimol.

GasparIlom

Post by GasparIlom » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:46 am

I hope we get an answer because I have the same problem. my dehydrator max setting is 70c and since I put it in the garage the thermometer reads 65c and I have been drying them for 38 hours so far, so I would like to know also if doing what I did convert any of the ibotenic acid at all.

Jared44

Post by Jared44 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:09 am

I have a homemade dehydrator, it’s small but works well. I use an oven thermometer inserted into one side to give me a temp reading but I wanted to be sure so once dried I put them in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 185degrees Fahrenheit. I wanted to be sure they hit the correct range.

They didn’t burn or anything so It seems like it would work to decarb this way.

My question is this: has anyone studied the rate of decarbing? As in, at a given temperature, how long does it take to decarboxylate ? Is linger better? Can they be in that temp range for too long?

shanti

Post by shanti » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:35 am

Thanks for your answers. I'll try to heat them up a little bit or may be the heat I use to convert it to tea will help too. I have another batch that has been dried at 60° C (140° F). I made an extract tea with this according to the instructions (15g / 250ml). It turned out well. I micro dosed it up to half a teaspoon and didn't experience any of the negative side effects attributed to ibotenic acid.
Having some experience with canning and preservation of food, I will most probably cook the next batch together with some citric acid powder. This will help to preserve the tea and to transform more ibotenic acid into muscimol. I'll post the results here.

Donn

Post by Donn » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:16 pm

From what very little "hard" data we have, at 60°C you could expect successful muscimol conversion. The extra temperature may just get rid of more ibotenic acid without creating any more muscimol. That's just one study though, and in Japanese so no one can say for sure.

The other side of it is the effects of ibotenic acid, which I think may vary quite a bit from one person to the next. At low levels, for me it's at most a difference in the psychoactive properties, which can of course observed only subjectively.

Do I understand correctly, you're thinking of canning fresh mushrooms like peaches? You might be the first to try that. With fly agaric, anyway - I see people can mushrooms for eating. Pressure canning - I assume you will do that, the citric acid notwithstanding I think it qualifies as low acid.

shanti

Post by shanti » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:20 pm

My idea was not to can the whole mushroom. I was thinking about to put the hot tea with citric acid into small, disinfected jars. This will be similar to canning. The vacuum that's created when the tea cools down and the acidity of citric acid will help to preserve the tea. And, the acid will also contribute to decarboxylation. Well... that's what I expect.
I think that it should also be possible to leave the mushrooms in the tea. But I don't see the advantage of doing so.

Chernp

Post by Chernp » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:38 am

Does using lemons while boiling for tea help to convert to muscimol?