Propagating Amanita Muscaria

Feel free to discuss what you want.
Rebis

Propagating Amanita Muscaria

Post by Rebis » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:29 pm

I've been thinking about propagating Amanita Muscaria in areas where they don't grow yet.
Ursus as mentioned smearing some of the spores from freshly picked muscaria near trees without Amanitas.

Does anyone know of other methods?

I take home all the stipes when out foraging, and I was wondering if I mushing up these stipes and then buried the pulp under a silver birch or pine tree, would that work, for in the technique of growing the fleece, any part of Amanita muscaria is able to grow mycelium even after it has been dried; or have I got that all wrong?

What about letting the spore fall into a porridge solution, and burying that under a tree? Does anyone think that might work? :ugeek:

Rebis.
These users thanked the author Rebis for the post (total 2):
AquavitaeAmanita Research

Splinters and Shards

Re: Propagating Amanita Muscaria

Post by Splinters and Shards » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:11 pm

I personally take spore prints on paper and bury them near the roots of trees. I have yet to see actual mushrooms, but I usually do this to sick or stressed trees and I've noticed that many of the trees I've done this with have gotten healthier.

Again, don't know if this works for sure yet. I've done it as an experiment. A mycologist friend of mine claims this works, so I've been trying it myself. I'll keep everyone posted if I do get actual fruitings. :D
These users thanked the author Splinters and Shards for the post (total 4):
T36AquavitaeAmanita ResearchRebis

Aquavitae

Post by Aquavitae » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:32 pm

It´s good to sprinkle "ash" (spores) for propagation, near the place where they are picked. Also the burial of the stalk under the host trees, as the sticky stalk retains many spores, could be a good method.

In the book "Magic mushrooms in religion & alchemy", the author mentions that buried sporulating caps under uncolonized host tree species works as a way of propagation.

Sprinkling spores, Boletus edulis too:
Attachments
qeVGoBW - Imgur.jpg
qeVGoBW - Imgur.jpg (605.92 KiB) Viewed 7745 times
These users thanked the author Aquavitae for the post (total 4):
Splinters and Shardsamanita muscariaAmanita ResearchRebis

Splinters and Shards

Post by Splinters and Shards » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:43 pm

@Aquavitae I have seen squirrels do this with boletes. That is a good idea! Thank you! :D

Rebis

Post by Rebis » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Depending on how deep the spores, stipes, or other mushroom parts have to be buried, how about using a soil sampler to get it down there, by the roots, a few feet away from the tree?
One could then stuff the material down the resulting hole, maybe in rolled up pellet ball form, made of clay, or that wad of spoor laden paper, or those stipes, or whatever, and fill the hole up again. It's a thought.
Soil sampler aren't too expensive. You can get them for under twenty pounds (about $25).

Or, would this be overkill? :?:

Rebis.

Aquavitae

Post by Aquavitae » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Splinters and Shards wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:43 pm
@Aquavitae I have seen squirrels do this with boletes. That is a good idea! Thank you! :D
I know that squirrels dry their Boletes and Amanitas and later take them to their burrow, and in the meanwhile they help in propagation. Hedgehogs eat the Amanitas raw instead. I found one hedgehog trippin balls next to an Amanita the first time I picked them. It was not dead as it exhaled deeply when I touched it gently with a small stick.

Aquavitae

Post by Aquavitae » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Rebis wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:39 pm
Depending on how deep the spores, stipes, or other mushroom parts have to be buried, how about using a soil sampler to get it down there, by the roots, a few feet away from the tree?
One could then stuff the material down the resulting hole, maybe in rolled up pellet ball form, made of clay, or that wad of spoor laden paper, or those stipes, or whatever, and fill the hole up again. It's a thought.
Soil sampler aren't too expensive. You can get them for under twenty pounds (about $25).

Or, would this be overkill? :?:

Rebis.
Rebis: I don´t know how the soil sampler could work. I think it is not necessary to bury the cap too deeply, as rain water filtration does the job.

Rebis

Post by Rebis » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:51 pm

Aquavitae wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:29 pm
Rebis: I don´t know how the soil sampler could work. I think it is not necessary to bury the cap too deeply, as rain water filtration does the job.
I don't know either, hence all the questions. I'm just thinking aloud really mostly on these threads, being new to it all. I thought that either the spoors or the mycelium, or both, has to get to the roots of the tree, and punching a hole to the roots would give them a helping hand, I don't know. :roll: :P

Rebis.

Rebis

Post by Rebis » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 pm

I found some more information from an internet shop, 'The Amanita Shop'.

They say that it is difficult but not impossible to cultivate Amanitas.
One takes fresh caps, or even dried craps, that are or have been in sporination, i.e. fully opened, and crush them up.
Mix that in with the top soil under the host tree. One can also do this with the stipes that have come from fully opened Amanitas, either chopped up, or whole, for they will have some spores sticking to them.
Best time to do this is during the fruiting season.

Rebis.
These users thanked the author Rebis for the post:
Aquavitae

Rebis

Post by Rebis » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:00 pm

On another forum, ‘The Shroomery’, one member there called Nibin, wrote that mushroom hunters where he lives put Lactarius Sanguifluus mushroom caps they want to propagate into a blender with water, then pour the solution in a six inch (about 15cm) deep trench, two to three meters around the trunk of a host tree they want to inoculate. They then back-fill the trench again.

I’m thinking this might work for Amanita muscaria too.

Rebis.
These users thanked the author Rebis for the post (total 2):
Splinters and ShardsT36